Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Remembering Canada's 1970 "October Crisis" and the War Measures Act

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:04:51 -0400

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:47:17 -0700
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
Subject: Remembering Canada's 1970 "October Crisis" and the War Measures Act

As events unfold here, I am reminded of a piece of history vivid to me
as one of the biggest political events of my childhood, but which
non-Canadians may know little about.  It's history may tell us something,
even though it seems sometimes that even those who remember history
are still condemned to repeat it.

In 1970, seperatist (FLQ) terrorists in Quebec kidnapped first a British
trade commissioner and then a Quebec cabinet minister, demanding the
release of their compatriots.

The response was the use by Trudeau of the "War Measures Act," which
allowed the government to suspend civil rights.  Thousands of people
were arrested without charges, sometimes in midnight raids, simply
for having associated with seperatists.    Montreal was locked down
under a form of martial law.   Even press censorship was threatened, steps
far further than anything in the USA -- And much of Canada cheered it on.
(Canada had no constitution at the time.  The Charter of Rights and
freedoms was drafted under Trudeau's watch 12 years later.)

The FLQ cell that kidnapped Laporte, the cabinet minister, murdered him.
Rumour was they did it in response to the War Measures Act.

Even 30 years later, I was surprised to see polls that show much of the
public feeling it was the right move.

Those interested should consider doing searches for phrases like
"War Measures Act" and "FLQ" and "October Crisis" to find articles about it.
A CBC feature on it is at:

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/october/

With a timeline at:

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/october/timeline.html

This may tell you how a society may react to an ongoing terrorist
threat, though in this case a domestic one, and one attacking a government
official.

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/