Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Does sound like Nam all over again

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:09:08 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Does sound like Nam all over again
From: jacobs () genehack org (John S. J. Anderson)

David Farber <dave () farber net> writes:

A bit of follow-up:

> American investigators probing anthrax outbreaks in Florida and New
> York believe they have all the hallmarks of a terrorist attack - and
> have named Iraq as prime suspect as the source of the deadly spores.

I'm not sure the facts are consistent with the above hypothesis. Iraq
is reported to have a fairly well developed biowar program and
generally, developing antibiotic resistance in bacterial strains is
not that difficult. Therefore, it seems likely that Iraq has
antibiotic resistant anthrax strains.

However, the anthrax strain infecting people in Florida was reported
to be largely identical to the standard Ames lab strain (although I'm
not sure how that was determined), and in any case it is responding to
antibiotic treatment (again, according to reports in the major media).

So, either Iraq doesn't have antibiotic-resistant anthrax strains,
(which seems unlikely), or they elected to use antibiotic-sensitive
strains first (which seems foolish *and* unlikely), or Iraq isn't
behind these attacks, or at least isn't the source of the bacterial
cultures.

john.
--
"If my son wants to be a pimp when he grows up, that's fine with me.  I
hope he's a good one and enjoys it and doesn't get caught. I'll support

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/