Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: GOVNET? Not the brightest idea.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:38:22 -0400

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:26:24 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steve Crocker <steve () stevecrocker com>

Jean,

Of the several items you responded to, I think I wrote only the first, viz
Inexperienced, untrained government employees were attempting to keep up with the talent and competitive pressures in the commercial marketplace.

I'm a strong believer in government service. I spent some time at DARPA and felt it was honorable and worthwhile. I also agree with your comment that government is not a monolith, and therefore each initiative and each opportunity for government service needs to be evaluated separately. My comment applied only to the process I saw in operation during the 1980s at the Computer Security Evaluation Center. Most of the individuals who worked there were well-intentioned, but I also think the entire venture failed to meet its objective. And I think the reasons were visible for a long time, so I'm not enamored of the policy level people who kept pushing on the wrong idea.

Steve

Steve Crocker Associates, LLC                 Bus: +1 301 654 4707
5110 Edgemoor Lane                            Fax: +1 202 478 0458
Bethesda, MD 20814                            steve () stevecrocker com

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/