Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: GOVNET? Not the brightest idea.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:07:30 -0400

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:37:19 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Jean Camp <jean_camp () harvard edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Re: -RE: GOVNET? Not the brightest idea.

Inexperienced, untrained government employees were attempting to keep up with the talent and competitive pressures in the commercial marketplace.

Goodness. The only tiny sliver of good which I thought might come from the horrific attacks on Sept 11 is an awareness that there is good in public service. I thought that perhaps for a while the assumption that government was packed with fools while the true and mighty worked for the highest bidder might be quieted by the thought of the public servants who went up the stairs while all others were running down; by the thought of the much-maligned pencil pushers who knew every school and day care in the debris zone and had them empty; and the much-insulted teachers (UNION!) who got the kids out and safe so when the N Tower debris caused a school explosion everyone was safe. But no, the contempt for the public sector continues. ->sigh<- here are some facts.

First, the ONLY SECURE kernel available is available for download from the NSA.

Second, to point out the completely obvious, the Fed Gov has never prohibited competent programming or operating systems which do not lock up. The blue screen of death is not the responsibility of the DoD. I believe that buffer overruns have never been required by law, but by time-to-ship pressure. These are the 'competitive pressures' which are mentioned above and which generally prevent security -- and not because of the speed of public sector employees.

Third, the market has never been able to address issues of security. Security is The Textbook Non-excludable Good. The market does not function for such goods.

And, as an aside, bashing Microsoft is extremely politically correct.

Things have gotten better. Now that it is far too late for a new operating
system to establish market share on the desktop,

Don't tell Red Hat.

The
case did not decide all of these issues, but it did force secure software
off of the munitions list.

Thus the sudden rush to market of all those prohibited secure OS's. (Where? Did I miss it?)

So consider this as you ponder the results of the recent vote on the PATRIOT
legislation. It's not your government who has been working to ensure your
computer security. It's the privacy nuts. The government has done everything
possible to delay and derail the introduction of secure information
processing technology to the general public.

Yeah, that is why the FedGov created DES, funded the research which enabled PGP, and created CERT and CIAC.

The government is not a monolith. Criticism of the monolith is therefore pointless. Identify policies, agencies and actions to be productive. The PATRIOT legislation is a horrible threat to liberty. The privacy nuts and the civil libertarians (with whom I am numbered) are right to fight it. I hold out little hope for judicial review in the current high court. Yet opposition to this and other bad laws is weakened by a uniform contempt of government per se.

That there are bad choices made in government does not imply uniform government incompetence or malevolence relative to the market (which one decided pets.com was worth how much?).

-Jean
--

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/