Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: IP: Re: -RE: GOVNET? Not the brightest idea.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 16:45:35 -0400

BTW Steve , Bill and Jon are all experts in security (and two were my former students co-advised by me and Jon Smith at UPenn :-) )

Dave

Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 15:43:51 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steve Crocker <steve () stevecrocker com>

Re TCSEC vs Microsoft, I'm in rough agreement with Bill Arbaugh but differ on a couple of points. let me line things up a little bit differently.

About TCSEC rated systems, Bill said:
        1. They were way too expensive when compared to commodity goods.
2. They were unbelievably difficult to use and even worse to manage.
        3. They used out of date technology and software.

All true, but the situation was even worse.  Continuing with Bill's list:

4. Even systems which conformed to the TCSEC weren't secure in terms most of us would expect. When the Morris worm struck in 1988, I looked through the TCSEC to see whether TCSEC compliance would have provided protection. Attention to the correctness of the code, as opposed to just the design and the inclusion of access controls, didn't come into play until at least the B2 level. Even at that level, I doubt the level of code review necessary to satisfy the NSA evaluators would be sufficient to wring out the kinds of bugs that regularly cause security holes in our systems.

5. NSA was almost totally focused on confidentiality. They had a limited interest in integrity and *no* interest in reliability or denial of service. It was perfectly ok if a system crashed all the time and was effectively unusable.

And I have to add that Bill's first and third points are wildly understated. The evaluation process was horrendous. Inexperienced, untrained government employees were attempting to keep up with the talent and competitive pressures in the commercial marketplace. They were well intention, but many of their decisions were matters of judgment which varied from one person to the next and were unpredictable, and the process took a very long time.

With respect to why commodity systems have security problems, I disagree with Bill's implication that we should expect security problems in commodity systems. Microsoft puts enormous energy into its design and implementation process. There is quite a lot of time between conception and delivery. Moreover, since they're in a monopoly position, they control the clock. No one is forcing them to deliver systems with intolerable security. If the public demanded better security, they could easily apply their attention to the problem and do much better.

To be fair, their systems are quite a bit better than they used to be with respect to frequency of crashes. It's now common to use a Windows system all day without rebooting. (Of course, it's common to leave a Unix system running for weeks without rebooting.)

Calling for better development techniques is all well and good, but the single strongest lever, IMHO, is public acceptance. If the users declared they simply won't pay for a system which comes configured to execute virus-laden mail, Microsoft might change their practice.

There's a possible parallel with the experience in processors. From the earliest days, it was not uncommon for processors to have small errors in them. When the SEAC, a pre-1950 hexadecimal computer, was disassembled, it was discovered it had been rounding when the trailing digit was 5 or more, but it should have been rounding 8 and higher. Similar flaws cropped up in processors over the next four decades, and this experience was well known within the field. Intel was caught off guard when there was a public eruption about the arithmetic error in its processors a few years ago. By any objective measure, their processors were as good or better as any had ever been, but expectation from the public had changed.

With the embedding of computers in appliances and the appearance of appliance-type computers, e.g. Palm, I expect the public's expectation of reliability and security will shift considerably.

Steve