Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: -RE: GOVNET? Not the brightest idea.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:07:18 -0400

From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org>

A minor correction on one of Perry Metzger's comments...

> > >I will now say something politically incorrect in the extreme. The
> > >reason we face horrible security problems these days on the net is to
> > >a large extent (although by no means solely) because we've developed
> > >an operating system software monoculture on the internet, with a
> > >single supplier being responsible for the overwhelming bulk of
> > >software installs.... This supplier is about as incompetent as you
> > >can possibly imagine at handling security issues

I am no defender of Microsoft, but the statement above is unfair in the
extreme. Microsoft is indeed incompetent at security, but they haven't yet
achieved a monopoly on incompetence. The fact that we have no secure
commodity operating system is a direct result of fifteen years of Federal
policy.

Years ago (I don't know when this passed, but I'm guessing somewhere around
1986, because the legislation makes reference to the 1985 TCSEC standard),
secure operating system technology was placed on the munitions list. Items
on the munitions list are not exportable without special licenses. The goal
was to stop secure operating system technology from proliferating to other
nations. This policy originated within one of the computer security
technical groups at the NSA. The NSA technologists very quickly realized
their mistake, and have tried repeatedly to get this policy changed, but the
policy developed a life of its own. Not until 2000 was it effectively
changed, and even now the change is incomplete.

If you tell a commercial business "you cannot export X", the business simply
won't produce X at all. We live in a global market, and businesses cannot
affort to give up foreign markets unless they are somehow subsidized. The
government chose not to subsidize secure operating systems.

A direct result is that several operating system products that came near to
obtaining high assurance were withdrawn or cancelled when it became clear
that they could not be exported. In fact, *every* operating system that got
close to being secure was withdrawn. There weren't many. Secure operating
systems are extremely difficult and expensive to build, and the companies
who had the ability to build one decided that there wasn't any money in
producing them. In defense of Perry I'll add that Microsoft has never been
in any danger of ever shipping a securable operating system, so this was
never a problem for them.

This policy is not just a problem for you and me. The U.S. military
services, which rely on the commercial sector for such software, cannot get
acceptably secure systems either. Many of our critical military command and
control functions run on Windows. They get viruses, just like you and I do.
Ultimately, this is why GOVNET won't work.

Things have gotten better. Now that it is far too late for a new operating
system to establish market share on the desktop, it is legal once again to
export a secure operating system. Ironically, this came about because of a
lawsuit against the government concerning PGP, which is now for sale. In
this case, Phil Zimmerman -- viewed by some as a privacy extremist, though
unfairly so -- argued that code is speech, and that control of software is
prior restraint of speech and unlawful under the U.S. First Ammendment. The
case did not decide all of these issues, but it did force secure software
off of the munitions list.

So consider this as you ponder the results of the recent vote on the PATRIOT
legislation. It's not your government who has been working to ensure your
computer security. It's the privacy nuts. The government has done everything
possible to delay and derail the introduction of secure information
processing technology to the general public.

Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph.D.
Johns Hopkins University Information Security Institute

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/