Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: book review 'Germs': The Troubling Story of Biological Weapons

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:05:36 -0400

'Germs': The Troubling Story of Biological Weapons
By GIDEON ROSE

Two days after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, a friend called me up in panic. His cousin had supposedly heard from a high-ranking F.B.I. source that another, even more catastrophic attack on New York was imminent. ''Nuclear?'' I asked. ''Or biological,'' he said knowingly. The only way I could get him off the phone was to promise to check the rumor out, which I sheepishly proceeded to do. Two responses from people with high classifications were basically the same: ''I haven't heard anything, and I wouldn't do anything silly -- but after Tuesday, who knows?'' ''Germs: Biological Weapons and America's Secret War,'' by three veteran reporters for The New York Times -- Judith Miller, Stephen Engelberg and William Broad -- offers reasons the tip could not be laughed off. It tells the story of biological weapons and the fight against them, using biography and historical narrative to make the issues clear and accessible. The tone is somewhat alarmist, but because of the care with which the authors have assembled their case, not to mention our new sense of what is possible, even skeptical readers may have trouble sleeping easily after they finish it.
Biological weapons are easier to make

<snip>

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/14/books/review/14ROSELT.html

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/