Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Outlook 2002 -- we ARE told and CAN peek

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 13:33:43 -0500

From: "Bob Porter" <bporter () theideasgroup com>

Dave,
Just a short note to set a couple of points straight.
I seem to recall always being able to "view source" using Outlook 2000
on email that was sent as HTML email.
It is certainly possible on Outlook 2002. I use that feature all the
time, mostly to view how others have constructed their new and ever
cleverer versions of HTML email. I just right clicked and did it moments
ago on an HTML email. That is, of course, not available in a non-HTML
email as you are already looking at the source.
Outlook 2002 is very well protected and won't run any macros or
attachments without you specifically clicking on them and then choosing
to run them.
In its current iteration it actually blocks many file types completely
(.exe, .vbs, etc.)
Methods to add even more control in your options menu of what it blocks
are outlined here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm

As a web developer I certainly have my issues with Microsoft. I just
filed a official complaint with them last week on two issues. I firmly
believe the proposed remedies for the Microsoft settlement are deserved
and possibly don't go far enough.
That being said, limiting yourself to the MAC and/or Eudora thus leaving
you running on a platform that is used by only 4% of the population out
of fear is just plain silly.
Of course there are more viruses designed for Windows. If you wanted to
write damaging virus software, would you write them for the most used
operating system or the least used operating system?

Installing patches and keeping virus software up-to-date is now mostly
automated and trivially simple.
When the Nimba virus hit, we had no problem with four MIIS servers, even
in the face of over 300,000 attempts. This is with no hardware firewall
by simply having up-to-date patches. The most recent patches at that
time were over three months old, by the way. This is not a daily, or
even weekly, event as suggested by Gene.

Bob Porter
CTO
The Ideas Group
640 Bryant St.