Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Techies vs. Telcos

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 17:43:37 -0500

From: "Bob Frankston" <BobRMF17 () Bobf Frankston com>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

David Kirkpatrick of Fortune did a story this week on the Telecom/Connectivity issue. The URL is <http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=204875>http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=204875.

I gave him a pointer to my Beyond Telecom slide show as a source (<http://www.frankston.com/public/essays/BeyondTelecom.asp>http://www.frankston.com/public/essays/BeyondTelecom.asp is the version with a cover essay) though, alas, he still does use the term Broadband . At least Andy Grove speaks about the First Mile . It is important to frame the issue so as not to presume telephony and television are the only goals.

THE THINK TANK

Great Leap Forward: Techies vs. Telcos

With morale in the tech industry even lower than its stock prices, leaders are looking to lay the blame. Their favorite culprit: those controlling broadband access to the Net.

David Kirkpatrick

Mon Nov 12 00:00:00 EST 2001

It's been a grim time for the tech industry. Executives from companies that sell hardware, software, and Net services watched their stock prices and company sales fall off a cliff. Now, increasingly, they're starting to point fingers at one group they think is responsible for their troubles: the giants of telecom. At the usually upbeat Agenda conference held this October in Scottsdale, Ariz., Bob Metcalfe, the legendary network pioneer, took the stage and summed up the undertone of discontent when, on a panel about networks, he described the big regional telephone companies as "scumbags." Nobody objected or disagreed.

&&..

Broadband has the potential to be almost as important as electricity. It's urgent that our nation find a way to roll it out more quickly. Not that accomplishing this will be easy. Telecommunications firms spend hundreds of millions of dollars annually lobbying to protect their interests. But while the tech industry has been relatively silent on these issues, the rumblings at Agenda suggest that is likely to change.

[The article is relatively short and I was tempted to include the entire article here but I do want to respect intellectual property even if I m not worried about going to jail or, perhaps, especially if I m not].

Bob Frankston
<http://www.frankston.com>http://www.Frankston.com

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/