Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The World According to Dukie the Twit

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 01:32:01 -0500

From: "Janos G." <janos451 () earthlink net>

Lord Marmaduke Hussey, according to Jennifer Selway's feature in the Daily
Express today, doesn't like being regarded as upper class. He is a
toff-by-marriage, he will tell you, adding "I don't mind being called a
twit, though. I rather like that." Dukey is in the news because of the
publication of his autobiography, "Chance Governs All."

The man - who later became head of the Times corporation and came as close
to breaking the unions as it's possible in England, and then spent 10 years
as head of the BBC, driving it into the ground - lost a leg and nearly his
life at Anzio in 1944, at age 21. He was greatly amused when told that
journalists covering the 50th anniversary of Dunkirk were so exhausted they
required counselling. PD James asked him if there was counselling at the
beaches of Anzio. "I just thought it was hilarious."

Hussey speaks of John Birt, whom he appointed BBC director general in 1993,
as a "man handicapped by having a massive inferiority complex and a massive
superiority complex. Also those terrible suits. I had always thought Armani
was some sort of perfume."

Of having lunch with the late Robert Maxwell: "He was trying to woo us with
his legendary charm, which I'm bound to say I didn't see. He was a bad man.
I don't think he had any redeeming features."

Of a dinner with Mrs. Thatcher: "She didn't drink though she loves whisky,
as do I. I think she was rather sexy, but not to me; though I can see why
men were attracted to her [apparently Hussey didn't mean men voters]. She
had quite a sense of humour, but also an astonishing sense of duty, amazing
powers of concentration and beautiful manners. Handwritten thank you
letters, that sort of thing."

The best bit: his use of a word that's new to me (and, sitting on a plane
between Godthab and Kuujjuaq, I can't look it up) - he speaks of being shot
in the war: "I never missed cricket and rugby much. The leg was orf and you
can't put it back on again, so that was that." The only orf I know is with
two f's. Must be an abbreviation.

More WWII news from the UK: the entire underground government complex where
Churchill ran the war from, a bunker complex under Whitehall for 2,000
people, will be restored and opened to the public in 2003.  A Times comment:
"If Blair seems more exhaused after two months of war than Churchill ever
appeared, that may be because the modern Prime Minister must fight a public
war, under permanent scrutiny, on a stage rather than in a bunker. Churchill
could spend days, personally crafting and honing a single speeach, a luxury
denied his modern counterpart."

A grand sidebar to the story: about Ruth Ive, now 84 and then 22, a
telephone operator whose job was to cut the single trans-Atlantic line used
by Churchill and FDR whenever they wandered into dangerous topics German
intelligence could use if they tapped the line*. Apparently, Churchill's
liquid refreshments did not promote the clarity of his speech. "One day Mrs
Ive found herself puzzling over a reference to someone called `Jughay.' `He
was actually referring to UJ - Uncle Joe, Stalin - and I probably should
have boken the line, but by the time worked out what he was saying it was
too late."

* They did. Daily transcripts went right to Hitler.

PS: The Times has no copy editors left either. The story has five references
to "Ive" and a four to "Ives." Sigh.

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org
janos451 () earthlink net