Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Forward into the past: "securing the phone system"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 01:44:12 -0500

From: "Bob Frankston" <BobRMF17 () Bobf Frankston com>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

[[[Dave -- I was going to add some more philosophical comments and
observations to this but decided you'd prefer an entry that focused on a
particular issue. I will try to put together a coherent set of comments
about how the current situation compares with fears and realities of the
50's and about xenophobia at a time when embracing the world is more
vital than ever. But the real point I need to write about on my on site
is why we not only must, but can, tolerate disruptive change. This
includes civil liberties. Expectations of a suitcase bomb park on
Pennsylvania Ave (in DC, not the one I lived on in Brooklyn), doesn't
create a good environment for considered discussion. At least we haven't
built bomb shelters yet -- instead we have SDI.]]]

>From the New York Times "Attacks at Hubs Could Disrupt Phone Lines"
November 23, 2001 By SIMON ROMERO
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/23/technology/23PHON.html?ex=1007573841&e
i=1&en=c22f9074c02bfc05

Once more, it is disturbing to find that the current fears are used as a
way to argue against change. The vulnerability of the phone network is
being blamed on the requirement that companies open up their systems to
competitors. This is an outright lie since the "small club" approach to
telephony created vulnerabilities by focusing on a security perimeter
that separated the good guys from the bad guys.

The issue is really insufficient openness. The effort to deal with the
problems of openness have the added benefit of requiring that one deals
with threats be their simple errors or malicious. We should assume that
any system that is not tested by stress is likely to be vulnerable.
Before the "blue box" the "club" model of telecommunications security
allowed for complacency.

The article closes by noting

"A move toward more decentralization is key, but it's something that
will probably happen slowly," said A. Michael Noll of the University of
Southern California

Qwest has announced that it is moving towards IP-based telephony. We
already have a decentralized telecommunications system thanks to
openness! (Of course redundancy at the packet level is an issue that
must be addressed.)

Using fear as an excuse to stop progress in telecommunications is just
one more reason I am worried about the current "war" as it is used to a
return to an simplistic past rather than recognizing the value of
disruptive change.

Bob Frankston
http://www.Frankston.com

For archives see: