Interesting People mailing list archives

IP-FLASH Intel's Position on Broadband Regulation -- FROM INTEL

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 16:27:53 -0500

From: "Pitsch, Peter" <peter.pitsch () intel com>
To: "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: Intel's Position on Broadband Regulation
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:22:58 -0800

Dave,

In the past week a few people have commented on Intel's position on
broadband regulatory issues before the FCC. As you know, I work in Intel's
Government Affairs office in Washington, DC. Here are a few comments that
may clarify Intel's position for your readers. A fuller explanation can be
found in our pleading in the FCC's Section 706 proceeding.

1.      Intel has asked the FCC to review its regulations to determine
whether they are impeding the deployment of new last mile bb facilities. In
particular, we believe that extending "unbundling" regulation to the
incumbent telephone companies' new overlay bb facilities in the last mile
will inappropriately discourage this investment. We continue to support
unbundling of the ILECs' legacy, bottleneck plant, principally copper lines
and central office (CO) space. (BTW,we took essentially the same "pro bb
deployment" position on the cable access issue--that time siding with AT&T
and other cable companies and against the ILECs.)

2.      We believe this policy will promote deployment. DSL availability and
speeds will be severely limited unless fiber is laid from the COs to (at
least) the neighborhoods. SBC's Project Pronto represents such an effort--$6
bil. to lay 12,000 miles of fiber and install or upgrade 25,000 remote
terminals. This type of investment is expensive, risky and discretionary. If
regulatory policy gives the carriers a 100% of the risk but effectively caps
the upside, we will get less of it.

3.      Some see this as granting the ILECs a monopoly. But that begs the
question: monopoly of what? Service capabilities and  market experience
demonstrate that cable modems and DSL are likely to be good substitutes for
most residential customers. Does it really make sense to say the ILECs will
have monopoly power, when in the more relevant broadband market cable has a
3:2 advantage in availability; a 2:1 lead in subscribers and most important
of all is the low cost technology. (BTW those are the conclusions of
McKinsey and JP Morgan.)

4.      This position does not represent a rejection of the '96 Telecom Act.
The necessary changes can be made by the FCC and the states. (Intel is
neutral on Tauzin/Dingell.) Under Sec. 251.d.2 the FCC must determine which
network elements get unbundled.

5.      Lastly, a word about Intel's motivation in weighing in on this
matter. Yes, broadband will benefit Intel and the whole high tech sector,
but the larger society will benefit tremendously as well. And Intel has no
"broadband axe" to grind. It only benefits to the extent that broadband is
available to consumers and they see fit to buy it. It is then that we expect
to see the bandwagon effects with which we are all familiar in the PC
hardware and software markets. In that sense, it is fair to say that when it
comes to broadband our interests are congruent with those of consumers. I
think the record will show that at various points over the past 3 years we
have sided with and against everyone of the competing broadband factions.
Throughout, our goal has been to make high bandwidth broadband widespread
and affordable.

Peter