Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Bush: America Is 'On the Hun

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 16:19:35 -0500

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Attacks-Military.html

Bush: America Is 'On the Hunt'
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 1:56 p.m. ET
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush declared Friday the United States is ``on the hunt'' in the war against terrorism, and said the aerial assault over Afghanistan won't pause during the Muslim holiday of Ramadan.

``The enemy won't rest during Ramadan and neither will we,'' he told reporters at the White House. ``We're going to pursue this war until we achieve our objectives. [ Did Bush ever say exactly what our goals are in Afghanistan? djf]'' The monthlong holiday begins in mid-November.

Bush made his comments as war planners labored to insert additional U.S. special forces troops into Afghanistan in the battle with the Taliban regime that shelters Osama bin Laden, the suspected mastermind behind Sept. 11 terrorist attacks that killed thousands.

At the Pentagon, Rear Adm. John Stufflebeem, deputy director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Friday efforts over the past 24 hours to insert another group of U.S. special forces troops had been stymied by the weather. He said freezing rain was preventing the use of helicopters.

Bush said the Taliban's ``air defenses have been completely demolished'' in the first four weeks of the air assault. ``We're slowly but surely tightening the net to achieve our objectives,'' he said. He said the American people understand the struggle will be a long one, but said ``we're on the hunt.''

``This is not an instant gratification war,'' he said.
<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/