Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: our goals in afghanistan

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 16:29:02 -0500

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:25:02 -0800 (PST)
From: frank millheim jr <millheif () yahoo com>
Subject: Re: our goals in afghanistan
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave,

SecDef Rumsfeld reiterated the goals for the memory-impaired (j/k) yesterday:

<http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Nov2001/b11012001_bt560-01.html>http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Nov2001/b11012001_bt560-01.html

"At my briefing when I announced the start of the air campaign on October 7th, I stated that our initial goals were:
   * To make clear to the Taliban that harboring terrorists carries a price;
* To acquire intelligence to facilitate future operations against al-Qaeda and the Taliban; * To develop useful relationships with groups in Afghanistan that oppose the Taliban and al-Qaeda; * To make it increasingly difficult for the terrorists to use Afghanistan freely as a base of operation; * To alter the military balance over time by denying to the Taliban the offensive systems that hamper the progress of the various opposition forces; and * To provide humanitarian relief to Afghans suffering oppressive living conditions under the Taliban regime. That was 24 days ago -- three weeks and three days -- not three months or three years, but three weeks and three days. We have made measurable progress on each of these goals. "

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/