Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: from This is True re airline security and freedom

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:18:45 -0500

ALSO ON MY WEB SITE is a continuation of my diatribe about airline
  "security", which has grown too large for this space. You might
  remember that I noted earlier that terrorists are working to deny us
  the freedoms that our ancestors fought and died to give us, and that
  United Airlines kept a man from traveling freely around his own country
  because he dared to read books that some flunky SecurityDroid didn't
  approve of. I concluded "Tell us, United: exactly whose side are your
  security employees on? They sound a lot like the Taliban." Ben in North
  Carolina thought that was going too far: United is "Un-American?
  Taliban-like? Enemies of freedom? Wow -- the price of bad service sure
  has escalated in the past month. I fly a lot, and there are a lot of
  airline and airport employees as well as government officials out there
  working hard to make the best of a bad situation. Though scrutiny of
  their practices is important, seeing them ridiculed rubs me the wrong
  way. Your comments seem off-base and sensational."

  I wish. I *definitely* think there are severe implications regarding
  how "airline security" is being used as a tool to destroy basic
  freedoms -- and the government is not only not doing anything about it,
  they're supplying National Guard troops to help. What am I talking
  about? Forget subversive Harry Potter novels, I'm talking about
  blacklisting opposition political party officials. I'm talking about
  illegal search and seizure of reporters' photographs and notebooks. It
  scares the HELL out of me that people are being detained because of
  their beliefs, NOT their actions. Who needs terrorists to destroy our
  freedoms when we're doing it to ourselves? If this concerns you, my new
  essay is a must read: http://www.thisistrue.com/airsecurity.html . If
  this DOESN'T scare you, perhaps you're not paying attention.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/