Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a comment on : Gingrich says National ID card won't fly

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:12:20 -0500

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:38:52 -0500
From: Peter Bachman <peterb () cequs com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave,

If it wasn't for seeing Harry Potter with my daughter, I would have written an earlier summary for IP. This Newsday article skews the very thought provoking discussion with McQuotes, probably because the ID card is "the tip of the iceberg" when it comes
to the
complexity involved in such a system. This point was underscored by the ACM.

And it's a tip that the public apparently doesn't have deep seated objections to, (especially if it means faster lines), but
could be very dangerous if not done right.

The unspoken, (but often written) comment is we want the positive elements of networked identity, but we don't want it abused, especially in the context of a police state, a permanent declaration of war or unlimited emergency powers, political rivalries, suppression of dissent, etc. Is this power truly constrained now under the current system through largely ineptitude?

Do we have a system in place now, but was it built by not acting (de facto) and business filled in the gap with SSN? As such, this really boils down to the fact that our social compact has been violated by people who looked and acted like typical Americans, but then went out one day and blew up the WTC. So we have a nation of people who don't trust each other without some form of ID. Mistrust is a "good thing" in our design of government, but it is in a context of agreeing to some basic invariant and simple principles. Once those principles go, then so does the balance of power.

ID's and trust are really different but related issues, so we back peddle on the lack of trust, except to say we are very suspicious of "too much government". So there's a great deal of "qualified trust", and distributing authority.

I'd advise anyone who is concerned about the deeper issues to sit though the presentation on CSPAN. It's a lot more complicated than attempting to restate Godwin's law yet one more time.

Form your own judgments, here's some topics in what I took away from my notes, this is a summary without
attribution to the various people who testified.

In general the problem has been misframed as a "National Id Card". Like most socio/technical problems, it is a complex issue regarding relationships, intent, law, public policy, information integration, bureaucratic turf wars, relational data,
federal/state
organization, identity, rights such as the right to travel, (technological and social) vision, comfortable v.s. "serious" systems, innovations, the ability for Congress to conduct adequate and meaningful oversight, problems with current identifiers, fraudulent ids, biometrics, immigration policy, tracking systems, "breeder" documents, matching births to deaths, public opinion, efficient transfer of information within government, centralized and decentralized models, avoiding damage to civil liberties, lack of knowledge what identity is, getting identity wrong, preventing terrorism, Framers Intent, experience of Belgium who were victims of Nazis and have national ID's instead of using passports within EU, how other documents "proxy" for a national id, policy by default of not regulating use of SSN as unique identifier, inappropriate data leakage from current identifiers (data constraints), how one controls the process or lives with "ID vacuum", time value of being forced to wait for services, quality of technology, lack of good management, common models for identity, "fall of cybercivilization", failures of the system to protect us, abuses of the system that is supposed to protect us, technology of authentication systems, layering problem space, and coming up with a plan involving identity to immediately forestall another major tragedy. Failure of FBI to put terrorists on watch list after being given data 42 days earlier, no "big brother" database either practically, politically, or morally. Importance of State CIOs. Amount of data on a card, very minimal, or extensive? Ability of persons to view data kept on them and correct it. Medical record analogies (HIPPA). Pilot projects. CIA finding Farsi speakers a problem? Solution. Hail a cab in Washington. General unwillingness to confront reality. Smashing the "big bug" regarding identity. Preventing racism. The racism "card". Bail Bonding for immigrants.Uniform Driver License standards. Nature of Oracle software offer. What it means to create knowledge out
of data.

"What are we really trying to achieve", standardized design patterns, functionality and utility, technology time lines, sleeper agents, Government data error rate, hackers, selling of personal data, dynamic evolution of U.S. government from Framers, suspicion of government, government as a "gas" that expands to fill any constrained volume, "human serialization", the "defacto card", the role of cultural safeguards, ID cards and registration used for a variety of purposes in different countries and historically, including political abuse and power shaping as well as services, medical, identity theft and prevention of same, intrusiveness, scope of access to data, sensitivity to distribution, identity and security assertions, security in general, and data security standards, does privacy exist or has it already been taken away from us?, commission to study problem ? skeletons in the closet, reasonable expectations of privacy, time advantages of terrorists to reverse engineer systems, but they used their real names mostly, "data owner" problems at agency level, how data is verified, or not, real time INS data, felony penalties for abusing data, scanning millions of lines of "foreign written code" for back doors, Constitutional amendment, freezing bank accounts with visa expiration, can ID's ever tell us who is a "bad actor"?, how should ID's be linked to databases?, Japanese W.W.II Internment not to be repeated, what is an "identifier system"? And of course, national security topics which Ellison is not allowed to talk about, indicating there's another discussion on the non-public track , which involves inside knowledge, and
of course the oft quoted remarks from
public officials regarding another major attack, and whether this whole screed has anything to do with preventing that
potential.

Couple of ideas I've been working on with security analysts that were somewhat mentioned, involve economic cost shifting. Who will pay for this, who will benefit, will it save money having a common identity model, who is profiting now from the current situation, what are vendors doing, what is the international picture, it if were done, how could it be done securely, and with proper legal safeguards. How can users publish their identity data, instead of having the government do it?

-pb

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/