Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 800 directory "assistance" redirecting calls

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 13:22:05 -0500

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:03:56 -0700
To: dave () farber net
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>

Dave:

IPers might be interested in something that happened to me today. I am planning a trip to Denver, and wanted to stay at the Adam's Mark hotel. Not knowing the toll-free number for the chain, I called 800-555-1212 (toll-free information) to ask for the number.

"Toll-free directory assistance, powered by TellMe!" said a recorded message. I told the recording that I wanted the number of the Adam's Mark.

However, instead of receiving the correct number for the chain (listed on their Web site as 800-444-ADAM), I received a different number: 800-866-5038. This number was not actually the number of the hotel chains, but rather that of a third party room wholesaler in Orlando, Florida.

Calling the correct number, I confirmed that the hotel chain had no idea that calls were being diverted to a third party.

As the economy continues into recession, we are likely to see more and more instances of "customer hijacking," in which companies -- perceiving their markets as a zero sum game -- work to grab customers from one another in any way possible, regardless of ethics. "Slamming," and the hijacking of ISPs' DSL customers by ILECs, are only two of the many other hijacking techniques which are now becoming prevalent in slowly growing, or shrinking, markets.

--Brett Glass

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/