Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "all domain owners are in business" (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:16:15 -0500

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:14:05 -0500 (EST)
From: elijah wright <elw () stderr org>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: "all domain owners are in business" (fwd)

> >--  ALL DOMAIN NAME OWNERS ARE IN BUSINESS

so if i buy a domain name (i own several) i'm obligated (as an education
professional) to play by the author's rules of moral and professional
conduct?

i don't think so.

if i buy a little red wagon full of reese's peanut butter cups, am i
obligated to eat them someone else's way?  NO.  and i don't think many
people would argue that i should be.

> >--  Educators who are referred to as  "PROFESSIONALS' and who have "BOUGHT
> >A DOMAIN NAME" have "GONE INTO BUSINESS".

so making a legitimate purchase of a piece of property makes me a
businessperson?  i think i'll try to remember that the next time i go to
wal-mart and buy tires.  "gee look, i'm in business!"

clearly, this letter had good intentions.  unfortunately, it went a little
overboard in trying to make dramatic statements and be persuasive.

> >--  The perception by educators is that if they don't sell anything on
> >their site they are not in the marketplace,
> >and feel they have no responsibility to understand the commercial
> >connections to domain name ownership.

i'm in the intellectual marketplace.  this fact, however, does not
obligate me to pay special attention to "commerce" that i ordinarily
wouldn't.

there's one thing worth thinking about - there's no reason for "dead
dots".  transfer your domains to one of the cheapie hosting services
(dotster comes to mind) and for a hundred bucks or so you can register for
a decade of service.

> >-- "Educators" who own domains and decide to let them die have a
> >responsibility to bury their dead dots with dignity.

this would have been more effectively stated if it had been generalized to
"domain owners" rather than trying to pin down educators specifically.

as a class of individuals, technically literate educational professionals
are probably more likely to think through consequences than many other
groups.

> > They must not let their domain name land into porn hands where it
> > will be seen in public spaces like the classroom or even the library
> > by a well

classroom teachers and librarians have a responsibility to educate their
students and patrons, as well.  this includes teaching students that there
are things on the internet that they should probably not be looking at. :)

> >-- The CEO of McGuffy should be sued for letting the domain name become
> >porn. I think it pure negligence to have let the site get into that

funny thing - i can get neither the mcguffy.org site or the site
supposedly owned by this woman to load.

> >followed, probably at least $1.25 million. And their site is now a porn
> >site!!  Who were the Education  CXO's responsible for his? And who is
> >going to hold them accountable for the tax payer money they were given and
> >squandered?

since when do educational groups have CIO/CEO/CFO positions?  the mixing
of educational and business terminology is perplexing.  i'm starting to
wonder what this author's real intentions are.

> >-- Professional Educators hold students to state standards when delivering
> >curriculum but when educators  go on the net they will be held to real
> >world standards.

errrr, there *are* real standards for educational professionals, but this
individual doesn't seem to be aware of them.  =)

AAUP, NEA, and NCTE come to mind immediately as standard-setting bodies.
Oh yeah, the American Library Association as well.

> >-- I would recommend the government demand Network Solutions and Verizen
> >provide a quarantine bin for dead education domain names at no cost for a
> >period of time to be protected from the purchase of porn sites.

i'm sure Verizon would take this more seriously if their corporate marks
weren't being warped :)

elijah

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/