Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Bailout Bill full of Pork [why am I not surprised djf]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:31:12 -0500

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:46:30 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Richard Jay Solomon <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>

If Cherry thinks this pork barrel bill is going to alleviate congestion anytime soon, he has little understanding of the difficulties of building new tunnels and rail lines. The proposed SINGLE-TRACK tube to Penn Station is 5 to 10 years off. The connection in the Meadows that has been underway for years now is merely an expensive transfer station for commuters to change trains to shuttles, not to travel directly to Manhattan. Since there is no spare platform space in Penn Station during peak hours for new trains to shuttle from Meadows, the crowding on existing trains will be worse when it finally opens, which is now postponed indefinitely due to the WTC crisis and the closure of the downtown PATH tunnels.

Plans for a direct track connection to Penn Station from the northern NJ commuter lines will require complete rebuilding of the not-yet-opened Meadows transfer station -- no provisions were made for complicated track connections since that would have increased the already 1/2 billion$ cost. The bean counters thought that futures planning was unnecessary, since there was no assurance that the future would really come (they might be right). Indeed, even a new tube is not enough -- it is proposed that Penn Station itself would have to be enlarged to accommodate any new trains, Amtrak or commuter. That will take probably an additional decade and there is no money in the current bill for that. Rebuilding may be more expensive than the single track tube. As usual, there has been no coordinated planning in NY, and the current crises hasn't really changed that.

But the pumpkin growers will get their subsidy immediately.

What the WTC II disaster has underlined is that we've been sorely deficient in providing for infrastructure. We have no redundancy, So the closure of the almost century-old downtown PATH rapid transit line has dumped everything on facilities that already were running to capacity.

You can't make up for 50 years of negligence overnight. But you can sure scare the Congress into spreading money we don't have around willy-nilly.

Richard

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/