Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Bailout Bill full of Pork [why am I not surprised djf]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:13:46 -0500

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:03:33 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steven Cherry <steven () panix com>

Dave,

I can't speak to the details of the bill, but as a northern NJ resident and commuter, I can assure IPers that our commuting systems have been greatly stressed by the events of 11 September and its aftermath.

Traffic through the two tunnels that connect Manhattan and NJ has been restricted to vehicles carrying two people or more, which has greatly increased bus and train commuting. At this point, parking is a limiting factor. The park-and-ride I go to every day, for example, routinely exceeds the spaces intended for commuters (indicated by differently-color parking lines) before 9:00 a.m.

(The park-and-ride is at the largest mall in the area; this will be a problem come the holiday shopping season until terrorists target our malls. It's the mall that, according to credit card records, two of the hijackers used the week before 9/11.) Using a different bus or train is impractical because they don't have enough parking either. A new tunnel that would allow the existing Lincoln Tunnel tubes to be devoted to commuter buses, in conjuction with some help solving the parking problem, would make a lot of sense.

There are also trains that terminate at Hoboken, still on the Jersey side of the river, which could go directly to NYC. There's a long-standing plan in the works to allow them to do just that. New track and switches are being built and old track upgraded. That plan needs to be accelerated, both because of generally increased commuting needs, and the fact that part of the PATH system, which goes from Hoboken (and other NJ cities) to NYC, ran to the WTC, and therefore isn't running. (In fact it's closed off to avoid flooding.)

Lastly, the article mentions money for Amtrak. A lot more could be done for high-speed rail service in the northeast. Amtrak is now running 10 high-speed Acela trains between NY and Washington, with a little more money more trains could run and prices could be lowered, weaning people off the largely pointless air shuttle. (This would relieve some of the problems that National Airport is having.) Service between Boston and NYC has been greatly improved, but more work needs to be done there as well. Now that Newark Airport has an Amtrak stop, there's even more need to keep up with increasing demand.

Quite possibly there's some pork here, but any list of the top dozen post 9/11 problems in NYC would include stressed commuter services.

 Steven

--
  Steven Cherry, +1 212 419 7566
  Senior Associate Editor, IEEE Spectrum, New York, NY

WASHINGTON -- Watermelon growers. Filmmakers. Owners of electric cars. Commuters in northern New Jersey. Those are among the people who would benefit from the very fine print of a Senate measure to boost the languishing U.S. economy.

The bill, on which a vote is expected next week, would pour about $70 billion into the economy next year, mostly for extended unemployment benefits, health insurance subsidies and tax breaks for individuals and businesses. But it also includes a panoply of provisions less obviously connected to stimulating the economy--and more clearly designed to win support from specific senators.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-111001tax.story?co ll=la%2Dhome%2Dtodays%2Dtimes

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/