Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: What is IT?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:21:22 -0500

From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Subject: Re: What is IT?
Cc: farber () cis upenn edu

I hope this is not too little, too late, but here are some less euphoric
thoughts.

It's ironic that Steve Jobs, of all people, should call this as significant
as the PC.  He is after all (I believe) the guy who coined the phrase "a
bicycle for the mind."  Here we seem to be talking about a better bicycle
for the body.  What makes the PC - plus the Internet, to be sure - so
exciting is what it does to the mind and to the ability of minds to
communicate across time and distance.  This thing, wonderful as it may be,
seems to be a distinctly local -travel device. It will not change the social
structurethe way information does, by giving people access to
information/truth on a broad scale, by fostering transparency and by
exposing corruption, inequality, etc.  Of course, the Net doesn't do that
all by itself, but it's a tool that lets people find out and spread
information.    IT may  indeed help poor people get to their jobs, which is
a significant benefit, and it may change living patterns, but I do not see
it upsetting the socia/power infrastructure the way broad access to
information and information-dissemination ability does.

Meanwhile, if I were a VC doing due diligence on this thing, my first stop
would be Amsterdam (and then perhaps Beijing, where bicycles abound, as
opposed to Taipei, where the device of choice is a motorbike).  I'd survey a
sample of residents:

"So why do so many of you use cars, when bicycles are practical, socially
accepted, work far better on the tiny streets (woe to the driver who gets
caught behind a garbage truck, as happens frequently)??"  I don't see that
Amsterdam, let alone Beijing, is all that much  better off than most other
cities for the prevalence of bicycles....  They are handy, but they do not
change the social structure, nor do they seem to compete effectively against
cars when people get the income to afford them.  (Or will we have laws
requiring the use of IT?)

Of course, I'd like one...and I loved my bicycle too.  But I'm much more
dependent on/"transported" by  my Net-connected PC than I would ever be on a
personal-transportation device (and I say this with some irony as someone
who does not drive a car but is pretty handy with a bike).

Esther Dyson

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/