Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: No human finger will actually pull a trigger..: Risks Digest 21.20

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 16:51:23 -0500

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:10:55 -0500
From: "Daniel P. B. Smith" <dpbsmith () world std com>
Subject: No human finger will actually pull a trigger...

"Hemos," in an article in Slashdot, called my attention to
  http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/01/12/airborne.laser/index.html
This describes a weapons system under development, in which a Boeing 747
will carry an airborne laser capable of shooting down missiles.  According
to the article:

  No trigger man

  No human finger will actually pull a trigger. Onboard computers will
  decide when to fire the beam.

  Machinery will be programmed to fire because human beings may not be fast
  enough to determine whether a situation warrants the laser's use, said
  Col. Lynn Wills of U.S. Air Force Air Combat Command, who is to oversee
  the battle management suite.

  The nose-cone turret is still under construction

  "This all has to happen much too fast," Wills said. "We will give the
  computer its rules of engagement before the mission, and it will have
  orders to fire when the conditions call for it."

  The laser has about only an 18-second "kill window" in which to lock on
  and destroy a rising missile, said Wills.

  "We not only have to be fast, we have to be very careful about where we
  shoot," said Wills, who noted that the firing system will have a manual
  override. "The last thing we want to do is lase an F-22 (fighter jet)."

"I should've done better, didn't mean to be unkind.
Y'know that was the last thing on my mind..."

Daniel P. B. Smith <dpbsmith () world std com>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/