Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:53:39 -0500

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () home com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education (fwd)
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:16:21 -0500

Evans is a well-known consultant and has done serious scholarly work in the
"new antitrust" area.  His "Future of Open Source Software" is a
not-very-scholarly thought piece in which he compares the incentives,
motivations and viability of proprietary vs. open-source software.  In
keeping with a sub-scholarly publication (Milken Institute Review), this
article simply outlines some ideas without a rigorous theoretical or
empirical research base.

But the point of the article is perfectly sensible; does open source have a
future, and why or why not?  I don't understand how Prof. O'Donnell could
possibly find this provocative, and be concerned that someone might think he
is "endorsing" this article.  Economists love to examine various
institutional arrangements for producing economic value and this is an
excellent example of such a problem.  I would like to have seen Evans take a
more serious research look at this issue, because it's one I've puzzled
about as well.

I have been less puzzled than Evans, however, because we academics live in a
world that is very much like open-source programmers.  We spend our lives
producing research that is published openly in scholarly journals for all to
see and read.  We do so because it establishes our scholarly reputations;
when we look for jobs, we know our colleagues will review our publications,
and the better our publication record then more likely we will get the plum
job.  But bottom line: we don't get paid for our articles.

But note this fits well with Evans' thesis, that open-source is unlikely to
ever generate much consumer-oriented code.  This is analogous to saying that
no real person ever reads academic journals, and academics don't expect them
to.  We write, essentially, for each other.  However, we also write
textbooks and semi-popular books as well as research articles, and guess
what?  We get paid for books!  When we do popular writing, we academics use
the proprietary model; when we do research/academic writing, we use the
open-source model.  So I suspect Evans is correct; open-source code is
unlikely to touch directly the average Windows user, but it will be
profoundly important for the IT professional.

Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadephia, PA 19104