Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: U.S. Cyber Chief to Map Infrastructure for Security and forces patches down our throats (see last para)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 08:47:10 -0500

Tuesday December 4 5:36 PM ET

U.S. Cyber Chief to Map Infrastructure for Security

By Andy Sullivan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government plans to develop a model of the nation's railroads, gas pipelines, telecommunications networks and other ``critical infrastructures'' to better understand how they affect each other, the nation's top cybersecurity chief said on Tuesday.

As part of its efforts to beef up homeland security, the federal government will set up a national center for infrastructure simulation and analysis in January, said Richard Clarke, chairman of President Bush's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board.

``The center will create, if you will, an acupuncture map of the country, so that if there is a fire in a railroad tunnel in Baltimore, we know the Internet slows down in Chicago,'' Clarke told a gathering of high-tech executives at the Business Software Alliance's first Global Tech Summit.

The simulation is another attempt by the federal government to secure the nation's sprawling telecommunications networks in the wake of the Sept. 11 hijacking attacks that killed 3,600 in New York and Washington.

``We have migrated function after function into the IT (information technology) cloud without thinking about security,'' he said.

One way to do that, Clarke suggested in October, would be to build a secure computer network for government agencies completely separated from the Internet, dubbed ``Govnet.''

While his idea has received a mixed reception from the high-tech community, Clarke said Tuesday that the government had received 167 private-sector proposals on how to build Govnet.

The ideas were being reviewed by the government and a separate team at Carnegie Mellon University, he said.

Govnet would not necessarily be built entirely from scratch, he said, but assembled from existing agency-specific networks. It could use fingerprint scanners, iris scanners or other ``biometric'' devices to screen users, he said.

``With all these things, we might be able to set an example with Govnet,'' he said.

Clarke also appealed to the private sector, which controls the vast majority of the Internet's infrastructure, to beef up its security practices as well.

``We need to decide that IT security functionality will be built into what we do. It's not an afterthought anymore,'' he said.

Software products should be shipped with security settings at their highest level, he said, and high-speed Internet providers should require individual users to install ''firewalls'' to protect against damaging viruses.

Software companies should not just make ``patches'' available to fix vulnerabilities in their products, but automatically update users' software for them, he said.

``It's not beyond the wit of this industry to figure out a way of forcing down these patches,'' he said.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/