Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: State of health of the Farber computers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 05:20:16 -0500

Now that my temper is toning down from failures of the past two days all due to software, I am up again on a desktop and most important on a T21 laptop (heavy but it works not like my X21)( by the way anyone happen to know if the T21 HD fits the X21).

So what happened.  First the MAC

I had gotten a new Titanium PB and having read the Apple literature, I thought that OS X was a production system. I upgraded all Apple fixes and it ran. Problems were mostly with poor mail systems compared to the MS PC environment -- for example Eudora is a much less worthwhile system on the MAC at least under OS X (and the others were a mess to port over my mail files to. It was nice having a Unix underneath till a system fault ended up destroying the boot and keep me from booting anything. All my system disks are at work and I am working at home till Wed.

All in all OS X is just not ready for prime time at all.

Then there is the PC failure. That seems to be a joint blame. I was reinstalling PGP Desktop 7.x under Windows 2000. I rebooted and when I did W2000 got a failure trying to load a driver for PGPDIsk. So being a somewhat experienced person, I said -- simple! I will bring it up under safe mode and fix it. Sorry even in safe mode w2000 tries to load that damn driver and fails. So at present I need to find the floppy drive for the system (God knows where it is) and make a set of restore floppies and see if that works. I wish I could make a bootable restore CDROM!! (Why can't I?).

MS has offered to help (many thanks!!) so I may bail out of that.

All in all, a bad weekend. One wonders how someone with less background ever survives in the computer field.

Dave

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/