Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: The Broadband Economy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:08:14 -0500

Sender: larry () BMRC Berkeley EDU
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:05:07 -0800
From: "Lawrence A. Rowe" <Rowe () BMRC Berkeley EDU>

Hi Dave -

If the cost is $1.5K to get high-speed symmetric connectivity to my
house, I'll write the check tomorrow. Please call me at the phone number
below.  I won't hold my breath!

Problem is no one is willing to take my check.  As noted in the original
article all(?) the 3rd party broadband providers are out of business and
what we're left with is the cable companies and the RBOC's.  Sadly, they
make more money using the fiber connection to my house offering me the
"3rd version of a home shopping network" and near VOD.

So, what's the problem.  Unfortunately, the scarce resource here is
bandwidth and no one wants to sell bandwidth -- everyone wants to sell
me content. Sorry, I'm not interested in your content, I'm interested in
other content - let me use the bandwidth for what I want, not what you
think I will pay money for.  In other words, no one wants to be in the
"commodity bandwidth" business because they perceive, probably
correctly, that they can't make money.  Sounds like we need a new social
compact -- award a monopoly to someone to provide commodity bandwidth.
I'll gladly pay them a premium to make sure they survive, but give me
symmetric high bandwidth, not "AOL chat rooms," "home shopping network,"
"3 copies of PBS," and so forth.  At this point, I'd be happy with a
symmetric 25 Mbs, although I really think the target should be symmetric
100 Mbs.

The solution will likely be a grass roots effort to build a consumer
network service.  Palo Alto has started down this path by buildiing
community fiber to the home.  All the discussion of 802.11 as a
foundation for a neighborhood Internet service is another path.  What
the earlier writer missed about the 90+% of dark fiber is that it
doesn't go where the people are located.  Sadly, the cash cow in the
telcom business is long distance service.  No wonder ATT broadband
continues to pester me with offers to use cable telephony (I'm an old
TCI customer).  And, no wonder SBC, who now owns PacBell, is paying for
full-page newspaper ads advocating that the Calif PUC open up long
distance to this RBOC.  And of course, I'm not paranoid when I wonder
why streaming media from ATT Broadband doesn't work -- humm, kill
Internet telephony so you can sell me a cable telephone?  I have to give
@Home credit - they did support streaming media.

BTW, it's interesting to compare the ATT cable telephony service to the
RBOC service.  Costs roughly 15% less if you buy a bundle of services
(i.e., call forwarding, caller id, etc.), which works out to roughly
$30+/month, but it's 30% more if you just buy simple phone service.  Ok,
let's see, buy telephone service at roughly 2X the cost of a simple
phone service, and you will have a service that won't work when the
power fails which tends to happen 3-5 times a winter in the country
where I live.  Yep, just what I want...

I can only hope for one of two possibilities.  First, either the owner
of the fiber will sell bandwidth not static allocation of content.  This
would open up a lot of interesting possibilities.  Home shopping might
be happy with 1.5 Mbs MPEG2 like the subchannels on a digital cable and
NBC might pay for 20 Mbs so it can present ER or Fraser in HD, rather
than SD. The fundamental idea is to use dynamic allocation of bandwidth
and let me the consumer choose with my dollars.  NAB and the local
stations won't like it, but why should we subsidize the inefficient, and
today unnecessary over-the-air broadcasters. (BTW, remember that 75%+ of
the homes have cable or satellite dishes and 100% of the homes in
America are passed by cable.  OTA broadcasters are no longer required,
except for the local content they produce which is basically news.) And,
please, fix the must-carry rules so I don't get multiple copies of the
same content.
        Larry
--
Professor Lawrence A. Rowe          Internet:  Rowe () BMRC Berkeley EDU
Computer Science Division - EECS       Phone: 510-642-5117

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/