Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Jewish Militant Arrested in L.A. Bomb Plot

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:38:43 -0500

Jewish Militant Arrested in L.A. Bomb Plot

By REUTERS

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The chairman of the militant Jewish Defense League and a follower have been arrested in an alleged plot to bomb a major Los Angeles area mosque and the office of a Republican California congressman, among other targets, federal officials said on Wednesday. JDL Chairman Irv Rubin, 56 and group member Earl Krugel, 59, who were arrested on Tuesday night, were charged with conspiring to bomb the King Fahd Mosque in the Los Angeles suburb of Culver City, the offices of Southern California Congressman Darrell Issa, who is the grandson of Lebanese immigrants and the Muslim Public Affairs Council office in the Mid-Wilshire section of Los Angeles.

``Last night's arrests confirm that we meant what we said: if you cross the line from expressing your political or religious beliefs to committing violent acts against those whose beliefs are offensive to you, then you will likely end up facing federal prosecution on charges carrying extremely long prison sentences,'' said John Gordon, U.S. Attorney for California's Central District.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-crime-jdl.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/