Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Indiana I-Light Announcement

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:46:43 -0500

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:39:34 -0500 (EST)
From: "Michael A. McRobbie" <vpit () indiana edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Indiana I-Light Announcement

Dave,

Thought you might be interested in the appended for IP. Many are
talking about such university-owned regional fiber networks but I
believe the one we launched yesterday (and which is already lit &
passing data) is one of the very first in the country.

On a personal matter let me say what a superb job you have been doing
in providing such a wide variety of material over IP since Sept 11!

Regards,

Michael

December 12, 2001

GOT LIGHT? INDIANA LEADS THE WAY LIGHTING ITS I-LIGHT FIBER

Indiana has a first-of-its-kind resource to help propel the State forward
in the Information Age.

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana  -- Indiana University, Purdue University, and the
State of Indiana now have their own optical fiber network, creating an
ultra-high-capacity communications system that makes Indiana a major
center for information technology and maintains the universities'
leadership roles in the development of advanced communication
applications.  Indiana becomes the first State to boast such a resource.

"In addition to being the 'Crossroads of America,' - a title earned
because the State was a transportation hub during the Industrial
Revolution - Indiana is now the 'Crossroads of Information,' - fulfilling
that same role in the Digital Revolution." said Indiana Governor Frank
O'Bannon at a ceremony Tuesday December 11 to officially light the fiber.

Led by the State's two major, public, research universities, and with the
support and leadership of the State's executive and legislative branches,
I-Light (as the fiber network is known) provides near limitless
connectivity between the two universities, hubbing out of their Indiana
University - Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) campus, and connecting
within the city to the Internet2 backbone, and other national and
international networks.

Funded by a $5.3-million appropriation, I-Light is today delivering
gigabit speed connections, and will quickly expand to deliver multiples of
10-gigabit connections in the next few months, providing communication
capabilities unheard of even today to the Universities' researchers and
general populations.  As technology advances, the Universities will have
the capability to expand their connectivity well beyond terabit levels and
increase their role in the development of advanced applications.

Essentially, I-Light creates a virtual campus network for the three major
campuses of Indiana and Purdue Universities, enabling researchers to
communicate over long distances, real time, as if they were in the same
room.  Demonstrating this during the I-Light event, researchers located in
West Lafayette, Bloomington, and Indianapolis collaborated on a project to
view and analyze a 3-D medical data image; something not possible until
now, due to the limitations of the network.

A Boost to the Indiana Economy

And this is only the beginning.  I-Light contributes to economic
development in Indiana.  Many states are competing to provide the fertile
ground to create the next Silicon Valley.  With its central location, and
high quality of life, the addition of fiber 'on ramps' to the national and
international research and business internets, Indiana is well positioned
to attract start-up companies and established information-age enterprises.

"Today, we are illuminating the future of Indiana" said Myles Brand,
President of Indiana University.  "Working hand-in-hand with our partners
around the State, Indiana University is helping to create the information
technology that will be so important to our State's economic future."

And it's not just new enterprises that will be attracted to Indiana, due
to initiatives like I-Light.  Verizon - the company that installed the
fiber for I-Light - is a Fortune Top Ten company.  Said Verizon's Great
Lakes Region President, John Dudley, "For businesses such as Verizon here
in Indiana, this partnership will impact our growth as well as the quality
of employees we can attract to Indiana."  Dudley went on to say:  "Not
only does I-Light signal to the rest of the country that Indiana is 'open
for business', but it also says 'we have the light on for you.'"

"Indiana first began planning for I-Light in 1998 and moved swiftly
through the concept-to-reality process, in what was a very complex
project" said Michael A. McRobbie, Vice President for Information
Technology and Chief Information Officer of Indiana University.  "Many
other states have followed our lead, developing plans for such networks to
aid in the research and development of advanced applications; but we
believe we are the first in the nation to have our network fully
operational."

Another facet of I-Light is its future impact for local economic
development. For example, the City of Bloomington was able to leverage the
initiative by adding two empty conduits connecting that city's new carrier
hotel to the regional facilities located in Indianapolis.  In addition,
the greater Lafayette area is currently launching an initiative to develop
a comprehensive plan for fiber infrastructure in that region.

Collaboration and Enabling Science

Owning its own fiber resource significantly reduces the barriers to
digital collaboration.  I-Light will usher in a new age of collaboration
between the Universities.  "With I-Light, Purdue University and Indiana
University will have greater leverage and potential for federal grants and
can help Indiana become a more capable player in the Information Economy"
said Purdue President Martin Jischke.

"Medical personnel and engineers throughout the State will have the
advantage of virtual, real-time collaborative workspaces, as they explore
the diagnostic process for identifying diseases and their treatments" said
Indiana University School of Medicine professor Gary Hutchins.  "We can
confer in real time and virtual space about treatment options and discuss
potential refinements to the diagnostic process and the technology
involved; something we could not do without I-Light."

Importance of Connectivity to National Fiber Infrastructure

University ownership of optical fiber infrastructure is a key advantage of
I-Light.  Rather than having to pay commercial providers, the universities
and the State of Indiana have the ability to expand capacity to whatever
level is needed for little marginal cost.

"By investing in their own high performance regional network
infrastructure, Indiana has taken a very strong forward looking position
in the development of high performance networking for the academic
community," said Aubrey Bush, Division Director, National Science
Foundation. "This unique new capability is highly complementary to the
Federal role in national and international connectivity for the research
and education community.  Indiana, with this new capability, builds on its
already well established leadership role, and ensures a strong foundation
for future developments both regionally and nationally."

Importance of Connectivity to Internet2

A key component of I-Light is that it not only links researchers at the
two Universities with each other, but with colleagues at other research
institutions.  I-Light acts as a digital on-ramp, extending the access to
Internet2 networks and other high-speed research networks out further into
the heart of the State to IU at Bloomington and Purdue at West Lafayette.
"Indiana University and Indianapolis have been integral to the success of
Internet2" said Douglas van Houweling, President and CEO of Internet2.
"With I-Light, the State of Indiana is taking a lead role by providing the
foundation upon which the future of Internet technology can be built."

Indianapolis is home to the Internet2 Abilene Network Operations Center,
managed by IU on the IUPUI campus, as well as the site of the Indiana
GigaPoP, one of Internet2's regional network aggregation points.  Both IU
and Purdue have been charter partners in Internet2 since its inception in
the late 1990's, and Indiana University President Myles Brand is also a
member of the Internet2 Board of Directors.

How fast is fast?

A great deal is made of the speeds of connectivity represented by fiber
paths.  But a more critical component is capacity - how much data can be
moved at one time.  I-Light guarantees no bottlenecks in transporting
information across the network

Initially, I-Light will provide for gigabit Ethernet connections between
the campus networks at West Lafayette, Indianapolis, and Bloomington.
Those campuses today feature 1-gigabit backbones, like all high-end
research institutions in the nation.  As those backbones grow to
10-gigabit rates, 100-gigabit rates and beyond, I-Light will be capable of
expanding to match those rates by simply upgrading hardware technology at
the cutting edge of these technologies.  I-Light also has the ability to
provide even larger, on-demand wavelengths between research groups on the
various campuses, enabling very-high-capacity terabit connectivity when
that functionality is needed.

"It's misleading to focus just on interconnecting capacities when
enterprise local networks currently run only at, say, 1 Gigabit per
second" said Steven Wallace, Director and Chief Scientist of the Advanced
Network Management Lab, part of the Pervasive Technology Labs at Indiana
University.  "What's important is that these fiber-interconnecting
networks keep pace with rapid developments occurring on the sub-internet
elements; and I-Light certainly will be able to do that long into the
future."

"It's also important to note that we can establish multiple connections
across the I-Light.  Sort of like a coronary bypass - we can add as many
routes as we need across the fibers, until the flow allows for all data to
move in an unfettered fashion" said Brian D. Voss, Associate Vice
President for Telecommunications at Indiana University.  "While we need
only move at 1-gigabit capacities on any route - or whatever the backbone
rate might be - we have the ability to simply add more connections until
the flow-rate capacity meets demand."

Indiana Virtual Machine Room

I-Light not only presents the opportunity for researchers and scientists
to collaborate more effectively, it also allows the universities to pool
their high-end computational resources to build larger, more effective
facilities for those researchers and scientists to use.

This Fall, Indiana University installed the largest university-owned
supercomputer in the country at its Bloomington campus.  It will be
expanding that resource to include nodes in Indianapolis at the IUPUI
campus.  At the same time, Purdue's IBM supercomputing capability in West
Lafayette continues to grow and will be integrated with IU resources and
massive data storage to form the Indiana distributed terascale
computational facility.

"Supercomputers, massive data storage facilities, and visualization
environments are easily assembled into 'grids' of virtually unlimited
capabilities" said James Bottum, Vice President for Information Technology
and Chief Information Officer of Purdue University.  "That these resources
- some of the largest in the world - are now available in the State of
Indiana cannot be ignored."

A Resource for Today  and Tomorrow

"This network will help us illuminate the future - for example by shedding
light on the causes and cures for disease - and create a stronger economy"
said Indiana University President Myles Brand, accepting the Governor's
challenge to the universities to harness this resource.  The opportunities
that I-Light provides for sharing of information and ideas, combined with
the talents of the universities' researchers and scientists can lead
Indiana to discoveries that will change our world.

For further information, contact:
Brian D. Voss
Associate Vice President for Telecommunications
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology
Indiana University
812-855-3931
bvoss () indiana edu

Jerry Sheehan
Associate Vice President for Planning and Operations
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology
Purdue University
765-496-2266
js () purdue edu

Related Sites: