Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DISSENT AND TREASON

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:50:36 -0500

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:46:09 -0800
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>,
   Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DISSENT AND TREASON

Sources:  New York Post
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ucrr/20011208/cm/there_is_a_difference_between_dissent_and_treason_1.html

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DISSENT AND TREASON
Saturday December 08 07:05 PM EST
By Richard Reeves

WASHINGTON -- So, the attorney general of the United States tells me:
"To those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty,
my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists."

Well, screw you, buddy! What are you trying to say? Are you saying
that anyone who talks about civil rights, civil liberties and the
freedom that makes us Americans is a traitor in this undeclared but
loudly proclaimed war?

I have messages for you, Mr. Attorney General John Ashcroft, former
governor, former senator and all-round political perpetual: (1) I am
no traitor, and neither is anyone else who questions sweeping
expansion of government power to search people's homes and minds; (2)
if someone or something has to be blamed and castigated for the
breakdown in American security analysis that occurred so horrifically
on Sept. 11, we should start with the foul-ups of the government
itself in allowing terrorist networks to develop almost openly over
the past 10 years.

Start by searching you own record, sir. Take a hard look at what the
FBI and the CIA have been doing instead of setting them on ordinary
citizens with new powers to tap, bug, search, seize, detain and
arrest. The people supposed to be watching over us have responded to
their own failures in watching our enemies by saying that now they
need more power to watch us.

That said, Ashcroft impresses me as a small man, who does indeed seem
to see the very real terrorism crisis as an opportunity to push a law
enforcement agenda not unlike the one heralded as the salvation of the
country in the bad old days of "The Russians are coming! The Russians
are coming!" His obvious determination to regulate almost everything
in the country, with the notable exception of any checks on unlimited
gun ownership by either citizens or aliens, seems somehow detached
from the real threat of foreign-sponsored terrorism. His blaming the
naivete of the citizenry about terrorism is outrageous. Americans know
what is happening, and they certainly seem willing and eager to do
something about it, including the use of our military wherever in the
world bad guys assemble and plan.

The libertarian monthly Reason is one of the few publications that
have the guts right now to criticize the repression impulse that has
coursed through the country since Sept. 11. The publication has
gathered men and women of both the right and left who understand, or
are willing to say, that the terrorism was not caused in some bizarre
fashion by constitutional guarantees of individual liberty and free
speech.

"Federal agents still need to make the case that the expanded powers
for which they are asking are necessary," the journal quoted Jerry
Berman of the Center for Democracy and Technology as saying in its
current issue. "It wasn't a restriction breakdown. It was an analysis
breakdown."

The magazine also quoted two officials from research institutions:

"Once people have been subjected to such thoroughgoing government
surveillance, all relations between the government and the public are
transformed. Whether the rulers be revolutionary despots or
democratically elected officials, every citizen knows that 'they' know
all about him and his affairs, and hence no one dares to step out of
line. In such a situation, the sociopolitical system will gravitate
ineluctably toward totalitarianism," said Robert Higgs, editor of The
Independent Review.

"Friends of traditional American values -- namely, freedom, privacy
and justice -- should keep their eyes on two transcendent issues
during wartime," said David Kopel, the Independence Institute's
research director.  "First, the effort to change our system of checks
and balances and our system of federalism with unreviewable central
executive power. Second, the tendency of people to suppress their own
willingness to think freely, and to lash out at those who do not
similarly self-suppress."

Watching members of Congress defer to Attorney General Ashcroft, there
is obviously a lot of self-supression going on in Washington these
days. But not at the Justice Department or the White House; the
executive branch seems more intent on expanding its own police power
at home than in mobilizing the free will of the American people
against terrorism from abroad.

--
Robert J. Berger - UltraDevices, Inc.
257 Castro Street, Suite 223 Mt. View CA. 94041

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/