Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: New Verizon SMTP email policy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 04:49:06 -0400

My son, Manny<manny () manny com> sent me essentially the same note with the
same reactions djf

From: David Pakman <pakman () myplay com>
To: "David J Farber (E-mail)" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: New Verizon SMTP email policy
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:24:53 -0700

Dave,

Here is a despicable situation I thought you and your IP readers would be
interested in hearing about.

I live in Westchester county, New York. The only DSL provider to my home is
Verizon. Verizon DSL requires all of their customers to use the Verizon ISP.
As of Saturday, Verizon (the ISP) made a change to their Terms and
Conditions (without telling their users). They are now restricting any use
of their SMTP servers to ONLY those users who have set their return-email
address to >address to xxxx () verizon net.

This means that if you wanted your email address to appear as
xxxxx () mydomainname com and "mydomainname" is hosted by some other service
(that may not even provide email services), you cannot use Verizon SMTP
servers.

As you know, it is really bad netiquette, (and in fact, often impossible) to
use SMTP servers other than the ones from which you are getting your
connectivity. Most ISPs block access to their SMTP servers unless your
connectivity is provided by them.

So, unless I am willing to send all emails from home with a
xxxxx () verizon net email address, I can no longer send outgoing email from
home.

Did someone say "abuse of monopoly power"? While Verizon certainly doesn't
consider themselves a monopoly any more, there is no other provider of DSL
services in my area, as Covad and others were forced out of business by
discriminatory pricing provided by the bells themselves.

Argh. What was the name of that broadband satellite provider?

Regards,

David

David Pakman
President, Business Development & Public Policy
Co-Founder
myplay, inc. -- Your music. Anytime. Anywhere.
www.myplay.com
mailto:pakman () myplay com

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/