Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Rainmaker Technologies Makes Telecommunications History with Digital Video Transmission Over Wavelet Modulation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 04:54:47 -0400

Please note I am an AAdvisor to Rainmaker djf

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:18:29 -0700
To: Recipient List Suppressed:;
From: Mark Laubach <mark () rainmakertechnologies com>

Rainmaker Technologies Makes Telecommunications History with Digital Video
Transmission Over Wavelet Modulation

Cupertino, CA, (August 9, 2001) - Rainmaker Technologies, Inc.  is pleased
to announce the first successful transmission of Digital Video over it's
epoch setting Wavelet modem system.  The company is a fab-less developer
and marketer of silicon modem solutions that will enable cable operators to
deliver carrier-class fiber speeds over existing last mile broadband
infrastructure.

"This laboratory event demonstrates moving standard MPEG digital video
streams over Wavelet Modulation.", says Tracy Hall, Director of Systems
Engineering, "We are also using standard DVB video interfaces that will
easily connect to most existing set top box chips making our product near
drop in for our future OEM customers."

"We believe this is the first time ever that anyone has transmitted video
using Wavelet Modulation." says both co-founders Dr.  Bill Miller, Chief
Scientist, and Dr.  Paul Chin, CEO, "Wavelet Modulation definitely shows
its merit for commercial application - its time has come."

"What we have running in the lab today is a significant step towards
bringing our product to market.", says Mark Laubach, CTO, "We open up the
pipe and provide the data capacity needed for future revenue services such
as video on demand, HDTV, and for custom bandwidth services for business
and multiple dwelling and tenant units".

About Rainmaker Technologies

Rainmaker Technologies, Inc.  (www.rainmakertechnologies.com) is a private
Silicon Valley start-up company with a unique and powerful technology for
mining untapped data capacity from last mile cable and copper broadband
networks.  The company's enabling and patented Wavelet Engine technology is
the basis for opening up the data capacity over existing infrastructure.
Service operators can generate incremental new revenue at comparable costs
without requiring capital expenditures to upgrade the Hybrid Fiber-Coaxial
plant; i.e., no forklift overhauls and no changes to the plant are
required.  The company has a technology leadership position in the coming
generation of cost-effective, capacity-enabling silicon solutions needed by
cable operators, and set top box and head-end suppliers.  Rainmaker's
unique modem ASIC solutions enables more bits per Hertz capacity at
comparable cost to provide the best dollars per bit performance.

Rainmaker Technologies is initially focused on the cable networking market,
however the Wavelet Engine technology applies equally well to twisted-pair
last mile copper, wireless broadband, and home wireless infrastructure.
See the website for more information.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/