Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: New "Cybercrime.gov" site: Useful information or propaganda?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:03:10 -0500

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:42:55 -0700
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>

Today, I scanned the US Government's newly-created "www.cybercrime.gov"
Web site, unveiled this week by Janet Reno. While I hoped that this would
be a useful resource for those seeking to learn about the issues and get
help with computer crime, I found to my disappointment that the majority
of the material posted there is political rather than technical and does
not provide balanced views of the issues.

The site's advice for victims of computer crime, for example, boils down
almost entirely to three marginally helpful words: "Call the FBI." (Anyone
who has actually called a local FBI office and asked it to deal with
problems such as Internet intruders quickly learns that this is an
exercise in futility.) However, the site does contain lengthy arguments
for the regulation of cryptography, the expansion of police powers, and
the implementation of blocking technologies on the Internet. The pages at

http://www.cybercrime.gov/crypto.html,

which contain one-sided arguments against the availability of strong
encryption and contain serious technical errors (for example, the
difficulty of breaking encryption schemes such as single 56-bit DES is
grossly overstated), are typical.

Links to the sites of groups with contrary views, such as EPIC and the
EFF, are notably absent.

Who is behind the site? And why is the presentation so biased? The page at

http://www.cybercrime.gov/ccips.html

appears to hold the answer:

"The Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section ("CCIPS") attorney
staff consists of about two dozen lawyers who focus exclusively on the
issues raised by computer and intellectual property crime.  Section
attorneys advise federal prosecutors and law enforcement agents; comment
upon and propose legislation; coordinate international efforts to combat
computer crime; litigate cases; and train all law enforcement groups."

Should our tax dollars be spent to create Web sites which promote
one-sided political agendas such as the ones outlined on this site?

--Brett Glass