Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The scary MSWord residue feature -- OLD PROBLEM but bears repeat Risks Digest 20.83

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 05:53:11 -0500

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 21:16:53 GMT
From: rubin () research att com (Avi Rubin)
Subject: The scary MSWord residue feature

I recently received a legal document as part of a personal negotiation that
I am doing. The document was e-mailed to me in MSWord format.  As I was
showing it to my lawyer (who happens to be my wife), we decided to put our
thoughts inline using the track changes feature of word. After selecting
Tools, and Track Changes, we clicked on "Highlight changes in document" and
voila, suddenly a whole bunch of red appeared on the screen. We looked at it
closely and realized that everything in red represented changes in the
document that my counterpart's lawyer had written. We got a good look at the
previous version of the contract, as well as a bunch of comments and
justifications that the lawyer wrote to his client. It was an eye opening
experience.

It appears that instead of selecting "Accept all changes" before sending it
to me, the other party to the contract simply turned off the highlighting to
the track changes feature.

This is obviously a case of an unsophisticated person misusing a feature.
However, it is very dangerous. Lawyers send word documents around all the
time, and many of them do not really understand all the features that they
use, nor should they have to. I imagine that I was not the first person to
see some behind the scenes conversation in an important word document, that
I was never intended to see.