Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: New toy and DSL observations

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:46:08 -0400

The new tou is the Omnisky wireless modem for the Palm Vx (and V). It uses
ATT CPDP and offers access to up to 6 email pop servers and web clipping
AND full internet access to any web site. ATT has a roaming agreement that
lets it work most anywhere that has CPDP. The device is thinish and the
battery , rechargeable,  lasts about 12 hrs. (looks very conservative to me
right now. Flat rate $35 ish per month and through the summer credit for
1/2 the modem price credited for to service after 6 months so the modem
will cost $150 ish).

Works very well and the service people at Omnisky are knowledgeable and
answer their phone.

Lots smoother and more useful than the Palm 7 and with 8 megs of memory in
the Vx. Downside , not much if you live or travel in major cities. Needs an
additional charger from the main palm (it is small)

DSL is a dream when it works which is most of the time. However I have had
two outages over the weekends and while the people contacted to get it back
were great, there has to be a lot more management system support before I
could use it in a real always on application. Someone needs to monitor my
service and some one needs to develop a multicompany trouble ticketing
system fast else the visions of what we can do with a an always connected
home/business will have to become almost always connected and that is a lot
different.

Dave