Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RealDownload Privacy -- their rebuttal PLEASE READ

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:03:21 -0400

Sounds quite reasonable on Real's part   djf

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:47:22 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: David Brotherton <dbrotherton () real com>
Subject: RealDownload Privacy
Cc: alexa () real com

As a followup to your interest in the falsehoods and misinformation
contained in Steve Gibson's recent posting http://grc.com/downloaders.htm ,
I wanted to share with you the following statements from RealNetworks
regarding the privacy protections relating to our RealDownload product. We
would welcome you to share this information with others as you see fit.

Thanks, and feel free to contact me with any questions.
-David Brotherton

==================
David Brotherton
RealNetworks, Inc.
p. 206.892.6561
c. 206.954.8672
==================

TO:     All RealNetworks Customers
FR:     RealNetworks, Inc.
RE:     RealDownload and Privacy Protection

You may have recently seen a report by Steve Gibson of the Gibson Research
Corporation regarding privacy practices as they relate to our RealDownload
software. The statements and accusations made by Mr. Gibson regarding
RealNetworks and the RealDownload product are completely and patently
false. RealNetworks has demanded a public apology and full retraction from
Mr. Gibson for his reckless and damaging statements, and is prepared to
take legal action if necessary.

To be absolutely clear, RealNetworks goes to extraordinary lengths to
protect the privacy and security of its customers.  The RealDownload
software never associates downloads with an individual’s identity. Any use
of RealDownload is completely anonymous, and its communications features
are clearly disclosed and optional to the user.

Upon installation, users are informed that download URLs can be anonymously
transmitted and we offer a clear choice to opt out of even that
functionality. There are no unique identifier transmitted with any
transactions that would enable us to link download requests
individuals  even anonymously  over time.  Mr. Gibson’s statements to the
contrary are utterly and completely false.

It is regrettable that Mr.Gibson deliberately chose not to discuss his
concerns with anyone at RealNetworks prior to publishing his false report.
His report disregards the detailed privacy policies and descriptions of
RealDownload Internet communications posted on RealNetworks’
website.  These policies clearly describe the many ways in which we protect
user privacy.  RealNetworks' policies have been independently audited by
Arthur Andersen and have received Arthur Andersen's E-Sure Seal. Moreover,
the privacy group, Privacy Place.com, independently reviewed RealDownload
and concluded that it poses no threat whatsoever to user privacy. To read
that full report, please visit: http://www.privacyplace.com/viewpoint/demon.php

If Mr. Gibson takes the responsible course and issues a correction of his
erroneous report, we will promptly make this information available.

AND

Dear RealNetworks Customer,

Thank you for contacting us regarding privacy.   I want to assure you that
RealNetworks values you as a customer and is committed to protecting your
individual privacy and informing you about how our software products
protect your personal information.  A complete copy of our Consumer
Software Privacy Statement can be found at
http://www.realnetworks.com/company/privacy/software.html.

I want to assure you that there are absolutely no privacy concerns with
RealNetworks' RealDownload technology.  RealNetworks has NO way to
personally associate you with any download you make, nor can we even store
anonymous download behavior of individuals over time.  Recent articles
(including the one you reference by Steven Gibson) include false
information claiming that RealNetworks is tracking individuals'
downloads.  This has been refuted by independent privacy advocates,
including Privacy Place.com: http://www.privacyplace.com/viewpoint/demon.php.

When RealDownload initiates a download, the URL of the download is
optionally transmitted to RealNetworks on a transactional, anonymous
basis.  This is completely optional during install and is transmitted so
that we can return an ad that is relevant for that type of file.

RealDownload never collects personal information and could never associate
downloads with any individual's identity.  In fact, there is NO unique ID
or GUID (Globally Unique Identifier) transmitted with the download request
that would enable us to link downloads to even anonymous identities over
time.  This means that any ad served when you download, or information
logged, is solely based on that single request.  We have NO historical
information about any download that you made in the past.  We also take the
extra step of not logging any IP addresses from the transaction.

Contrary to recent false reports:
·       RealDownload is completely optional to download when a user gets
RealPlayer (users can select the minimal install instead of Real
Entertainment Center Standard or Complete which include RealDownload)

·       RealDownload is clearly disclosed as a component of Real
Entertainment Center during the RealPlayer download process, in the license
agreement, and during installation when users are specifically asked which
files they would like RealDownload to manage.

·       RealDownload is very clear in disclosing, in plain English, the
fact that URLs are transmitted during a download in three places: when
RealDownload is installed, at which time you can opt out of this data
transmission; in the license agreement prior to use; and in the
RealNetworks Consumer Software privacy statement on the Web site.

·       RealDownload is completely optional and can be uninstalled at any
time without any effect on RealPlayer or RealJukebox functionality.

We hope that this answers any concerns or questions you may have and want
to sincerely reiterate that we respect your privacy and are very committed
to ensuring that your private information remains confidential and secure.

Please feel free to visit our RealDownload privacy Frequently Asked
Questions at http://www.realnetworks.com/company/privacy/download.html or
contact us at privacy () real com if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

RealNetworks