Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Counting away (after a while)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:18:39 -0500

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:12:30 -0800
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Those counts will be interesting for historians, but I wonder what
good will come of them?  If they show for Gore, or if some counts
show for Gore and some for Bush, the market-destroying fight will
resume, with calls for Bush to resign (that he won't heed, or will at
least fight as hard as Gore fought this battle) and a real crisis.

On the net, where I feel I should be surrounded by people with
scientific training, why do I feel alone in saying that this election
was a tie?

My mathematical training says that when two results are equal to
within the accuracy of the measuring device, they are to be viewed
as equal.  It's a tie.  You don't strain the measuring system past
its limits to look for the "real winner."  There is no real winner.

In fact, I find it amusing to think that the discipline of working
with approximate results is also sometimes known as "fuzzy math."

The system has no way to deal with a tie, which is a shame.  So I am
not surprised at the non-scientists attempting to eke a "true" winner
from the results.  But the rest of us should know better.

We should also know that the error is not simply one in the mechanical
measuring devices.  We're uncovering a new type of error which we might
call "political error."   That's the error bounds which arise from arguing
over definitions, and doing it in courts.   In any given election, it's
clear that the final totals can be manipulated, within certain bounds,
through the application of legal and definitional arguments.  All elections,
looked at this closely, are full of irregularities.  Some are physical
like how hard a hole is punched or whether a checkbox got outside the
bounds.   Some are procedural like whether ballots conform to the law.
Some are ethical like whether the wrong people had access to ballot
applications.

We didn't even see all the issues in this one, partly
because you'll never see all of them, and in part because some of them
were not politically appropriate to push.  (ie. Gore couldn't support the
Seminole suit or others like it, and Bush couldn't push other things
once they took their 'accept the first count' stance.)

The political and procedural margin of error is very large in some countries,
and it is smaller in the USA but not non-zero.

So our fuzzy math tells us the result in Florida (and indeed the USA) was
a tie, the difference being within our margin of error.  Bush beat Gore
in the same sense that sqrt(2) * sqrt(2) is less than 2 on my calculator.

Flipping a coin would have been as much of a result as the processed we
just witnessed.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/