Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: good comments re Major University to Be Asked to Review F.B.I.'s 'Carnivore'

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 22:09:33 -0400

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:27:02 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Re: IP: Major University to Be Asked to Review F.B.I.'s
 'Carnivore'

Major University to Be Asked to Review F.B.I.'s 'Carnivore'

... will be studied in depth, and that the university's recommendations
will be shared with the public.

http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/late/10cnd-carnivore.html

[be real interesting to see how ong the study takes dkf]

It would be a lot MORE interesting to see:

1.  Why a team of well-known top technologists, widely known and
well-reputed on the NET, and also KNOWN FOR THEIR INDEPENDENCE FROM THE
GOVT, wasn't chosen.

2.  How much military and federal money is funneled into said university
-- before, during and after their "study."

3.  Who gets to review -- and censor -- the findings of the "team
[players]" before they are released to the public.

--jim, Jim Warren; jwarren () well com
Contributing Editor & technology public-policy columnist, MicroTimes Magazine
Editorial contributor, Government Technology Magazine
Also GovAccess list-owner/editor; 345 Swett Rd, Woodside CA 94062