Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Major University to Be Asked to Review F.B.I.'s 'Carnivore'

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:41:59 -0400

Major University to Be Asked to Review F.B.I.'s 'Carnivore'

By DAVID STOUT

WASHINGTON, Aug. 10 -- The Justice Department will ask a major university
to review a government e-mail surveillance program that is seen as both a
great boon to law enforcement and a serious threat to the people's privacy.

Attorney General Janet Reno said the program, used by the Federal Bureau of
Investigation and dubbed "Carnivore" because it can quickly gobble up and
digest huge quantities of e-mail messages, will be studied in depth, and
that the university's recommendations will be shared with the public.

http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/late/10cnd-carnivore.html

[be real interesting to see how ong the study takes dkf]