Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Cisco offering cable+content cartel discriminatory routers!

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 07:01:53 -0400

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:28:00 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: David Devereaux-Weber <dave () cable doit wisc edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Cisco offering cable+content cartel discriminatory
  routers!

(These opinions are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.)

I am a network engineer at the Division of Information Technology at the
University of Wisconsin-Madison.  We operate the Internet backbone for the
Madison campus, and provide technical assistance to the state-wide WiscNet
(ISP for for public sector institutions).

And, for full disclosure, Cisco's Chairman, John Morgridge, is an alumnus
of the UW-Madison School of Business.  Mr. and Mrs. Morgridge have been
very generous to the University.  They visit the city and the campus
regularly.  On several occasions, Mr. Morgridge has met with our Network
Engineering staff to talk about Cisco's plans and to find out our needs
and ideas for future needs.  We are very happy with this relationship.

While we have a significant amount of Cisco equipment in our networks, we
also have (to Cisco's chagrin) network equipment from other vendors.

We do not use cablemodems for our campus networks.

For off-campus service, we have a cablemodem service in partnership with
Charter Business Networks for student, faculty or staff use at home.  We
also sell dsl service in partnership with several local companies.

End of disclosures.

To us, Quality of Service is a good thing.  Different Internet
applications present different demands on the network.  World Wide Web and
email present relatively low volume demands, and slight (under 1 second)
timing delays are not a problem for email or web users.  On the other
hand, live or streaming media present much higher demands on the
network.  Timing delays create dropouts in audio or video.  Networks
intended for email, web or ftp traffic can be designed on a "best-effort"
basis - if a packet doesn't get through the first time, TCP will notice
and ask for a re-transmission.  Best-effort causes problems with
multimedia.  Without QoS features, the only way to ensure quality
multimedia is to significantly overdesign the bandwidth.  For example,
using a 100 MB ethernet for a 4 MB video stream.  This overdesign makes it
unlikely that random bursts of traffic will interupt a multimedia
packet.  As the scale of a network increases from local to metropolitan,
regional and national, bandwidth overdesign becomes increasingly
expensive. QoS allows network equipment to delay packets that can tolerate
delay, while immediately passing packets that can't tolerate delay.

Those users who don't need to send video don't want to see their network
cost increased to support a service that they won't use.  Differentiated
services through Quality of Service will allow us to offer inexpensive
service to customers with low demands, while simultaneously being able to
offer service that will support streaming media to customers who need that
kind of service.

So, QoS product features from companies like Cisco are a response to
legitmate network needs.  They will let us provide the most appropriate
service at the most appropriate cost to each customer.

Dave
--
David Devereaux-Weber, P.E.
djdevere () doit wisc edu  http://cable.doit.wisc.edu