Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: old case of surveillance software, "stolen" by the govt

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:36:46 -0400

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:13:46 -0700
To: Recipient List Suppressed:;;;;Recipient.List.Suppressed:;@well.com;;;;;;;;
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: old case of surveillance software, "stolen" by the govt

Hi all --  [blind-cc'ed to several friends and two "appropriate" lists]

I'm trying to track down pointers to some neferious old surveillance
software -- from back in the '80s ... or possibly even in the '70s.  (My
old-fashioned paper archives on it are in such a pilefile disarray as to be
useless. <sigh>)

Here's what I can remember:

It was an expensive commercial software package, for mainframes.

It apparently had a very limited market -- primarily (or exclusively?) law
enforcement and prosecutors.

It was "officially" designed as case-tracking software for use by trial
lawyers and/or prosecutors -- but turned out to be
just-absolutely-super-dandy-wunerful for tracking and maintaining massive,
comprehensive records of all aspects of surveillance of citizens (but would
only be used to monitor "bad" citizens, of course ;-).

(Hell!  If I had the software and had used it to index my paper archives,
then maybe I could have used it to track down my copies of the articles
about it. :-)

The producer of the very-expensive package sold a copy to the U.S. Dept of
Justice (US DOJ) ... and later discovered that unpermitted/"stolen" copies
of it had been given to at least the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
and some of the Israeli defense or police or political-surveillance
agencies (don't remember the details) -- allegedly provided by the US DOJ,
allegedly to assist them in maintaining massive covert surveillance files
on [selected?] citizens.

All of this came to light -- and was reported in several articles in
COMPUTERWORLD -- because the software producer sued US DOJ and the US
Attorney General (US AG) for theft of their proprietary software ... of the
copies that were illicitly channeled to the RCMP and Israeli forces.  My
recollection is that the US DOJ and/or US AG was either found guilty, or
that they finally were forced to settle out of court and pay handsomely,
for the purloined programs.

Now ... questions:

Anyone remember the name of the software?  The producer/publisher?  The
approximate dates or time-frame when all this happened?  Any pointers to
information or articles about it stored/accessible in *modern* web/online
form?

Many thanks.

--jim, Jim Warren
Contributing Editor & technology public-policy columnist, MicroTimes Magazine
Also GovAccess list-owner/editor; 345 Swett Rd, Woodside CA 94062
 voice/650-851-7075; fax-for-the-quaint/650-851-2814; jwarren () well com

[self-inflating puff: Hugh Hefner First-Amendment Award, Playboy Foundation;
Electronic Frontier Foundation Pioneer Award (in its first year);
James Madison Freedom-of-Information Award, Soc.of Prof.Journalists-Nor.Calif
founded InfoWorld; the Computers, Freedom & Privacy Conferences; etc etc etc.]