Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more Re: Elliptic Curve 97-bit Challenge Broken

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:56:28 -0400

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:41:51 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Rohit Khare <rohit () uci edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Elliptic Curve 97-bit Challenge Broken
Cc: Robert.Harley () inria fr

Rob Harley and I are part of 4K Associates, an Internet
standards-strategy consultancy,. Our own original US press release
added a few more personal opinions...

From: http://www.4K-Associates.com/Press

"Understanding the bounds of ECC's strength grows more urgent as it
is written into more and more Internet standards," noted Rohit
Khare, a principal of the 4K Associates standards-strategy
consultancy and colleague of Mr. Harley. "For example, our recent
analysis of the WAP [Wireless Application Protocol] suite agreed
that RSA is too power-hungry for hand-held devices, but cautioned
that there are pitfalls in blindly incorporating ECC into existing
protocols."

According to Dr. Robert Zuccherato, senior cryptographer at Entrust
Technologies Inc., "Successful efforts like this one, while
demonstrating the weakness in practice of short keys, also confirm
the security level achieved by the 160-bit or longer keys used in
commercial elliptic-curve cryptosystems." He added that "Entrust
Technologies was pleased to provide resources to assist in this
project."

Khare observed that a determined adversary such as a government
agency or a corporation with substantial computing resources would
make short work of a 97-bit ECC key or indeed the 109-bit key in
the next Certicom problem.

"We are now close to the 112-bit limitation that many Western
governments impose on exportable ECC software via the Wassenaar
Agreement." said Mr. Harley. "Our repeated successes are
demonstrating that such short keys offer a wholly inadequate level
of security. These export restrictions, while claimed to be in the
public interest, in fact facilitate industrial espionage, hinder
global competition and limit people's right to privacy."