Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: We are here. You are there

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:59:52 -0500

Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:21:25 +0000
From: jkennedy () compunet net (Jack Kennedy Jr)

GREETINGS!

Volunteers are being sought to assist this rural Central
Appalachian Mountain locality of 40,000 population build
a model entitled a "Certified Technology Community" along
the Virginia Mason-Dixon Line. <http://www.wisecounty.org/ittf/>

The Wise Community Technology Project consists of 40
community leaders in business, education, and government
working with Virginia Tech academic research faculty and
a post graduate doctoral candidate as its Web Master.
<http://www.wisecounty.org/ittf/>

Historically, the local economy has been driven by coal
production and related services. The group seeks to push
diversification to a 21st Century information technology
economy based on I T Workports, Call Centers, and tele-
commuters for mid-size and large companies in need of
back office services and "knowledge workers."
<http://www.wisecounty.org/ittf/>

The county boasts two academic institutions for "knowledge
worker" training for low-end to mid-range information
technology jobs. The group will soon launch a job bank
effort targeting youthful northeastern United States
programmers and engineers willing to relocate to the
beautiful, rural Appalachian Mountains where clear steams,
hiking trails, fishing and hunting "rule" the time off.
<http://www.wisecounty.org/ittf/>

Outside prospectives are welcome to reinvent this rural
community into a the modern 21st Century Silicon Mountain
where a budding I T economy takes root on the Appalachian
Mountain Trail once trekked by Daniel Boone. We need input
from the west coast, the Rockies, Boston's Route 28,
Austin, and Fairfax. <http://www.wisecounty.org/ittf/>

The Wise Community Technology Project has a Listserv for
those interested in making meaningful contributions. One
should contact <wpaul () vt edu> William George Paul to be
added to the WCTP development project. We urge I T execs
and professionals to become aware of the opportunities
associated with a low cost, low crime, creative community
determined to engage the "wired economy" of today.
<http://www.wisecounty.org/ittf>

Small I T firms in a small community is our goal. I T
creativity will mushroom in a mountainous fiber-optic
connected community of 40,000 with four (4) privately
owned ISPs offering ADSL, T-1, and T-3 connections.
<http://www.wisecounty.org/ittf/>

Refer 'us' to IT Executive/clients by lawyers would be
most beneficial too. <http://www.wisecounty.org/business/>
Just <FWD> this e-mail to others, please.  We seek just
a little help to help ourselves to transform double-digit
unemployment and too many in poverty into a bright new
millennium.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Visit  http://www.courtbar.org  and sign-up for a User Name and
 PASSWORD for Virginia's first Online Land Records System today.

                 J. Jack Kennedy, Jr., Esq.
                 http://www.courtbar.org/clerk.htm
                 Voice 540/328.6111 Ext 246
                 Fax   540/328.0039