Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: An interesting viewpoint ..on the net and peronal interactions (was on Hellmouth)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:39:26 -0400

From: shapj () us ibm com
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:35:03 -0400

That is what is missing from families. the basics of respect and caring
for/about others. For if the parents don't care about kids, where do kids
learn to care about others?

I agree completely.  I'ld only note that the phenomenon is not limited to
families.

Also, I wonder sometimes whether technology helps or hinders this.

A somewhat disjointed anecdote from my own experiences as a contributor to
Netnews:

Just about everybody now reads newsgroups in one form or another.  You see
netnews content quoted in this list and in newspapers. A long time ago, I
contributed to this project.

After early deployment at Bell Labs and a few other places the original netnews
software spread quickly.  People installed new phone lines to get their feeds.
The first 1200 baud modems at such sites invariably went to the netnews lines
because the traffic took *hours* to move (and was tiny compared to today).  At
one point in 1981, a machine at Bell Labs was running up $250,000+ in phone
bills per MONTH moving this traffic.  In retrospect it is amazing how many
companies footed bills that large for something that provided no measurable
commercial benefit.

In this day of high speed backbones, fast modems, and ubiquitous ISPs, It's hard
to imagine (even for me, and I was there) how that system felt.  Conversations
would stretch over weeks because the messages had to go from one machine to the
next, each step involving a several hour delay.  Material to Australia went by
air freight for a while -- there were no 10 cent a minute international phone
calls then.  Sort of like wrapping paper around a rock and using a ballista to
talk to your neighbor. [Air mail for cave men?]

But the slow speed had a moderating influence.  If you typed something in anger
it would be weeks before the victim saw it.  Since the response time was so slow
it just wasn't very satisfying to be obnoxious.  A few people were anyway.  As
the message transfer time got faster this changed, and the flame rate rose.  As
the price went down, more and more people got on who weren't part of the
original techie community, and these people brought their own way of doing
things.

Needless to say, netnews was a runaway success.  The problem was that it wasn't
scaling.  As more people used it, more traffic got delayed or lost, and the
phone bills went through the roof.  It got to the point where several of the
backbone sites (including, ultimately, that one at Bell Labs) would get shut
down due to costs and the whole exercise would collapse. Administrators started
selecting which groups their site would carry and filtering the rest just
because of the cost. This led to the features that make netnews so hard to
censor today.  It also led to the B-news project.

The B-news project marks the second (maybe the third, depending on who's
talking)  "phase" of netnews development. It was the first time (to my
knowledge) that a large piece of software was successfully developed by a group
of geographically distributed collaborators under the open source model (it
wasn't called that at the time).  Most did not meet each other until years
later.

There was a sense of mission about B-news. To some of us, the goal was to
perform a social experiment: could we build a tool that would allow the whole
world to take part in discussions? Nobody really appreciated the degree to which
the impersonal nature of the medium would bring out the worst in the
participants.  We knew that the nerds would write flames (obnoxious messages,
often containing personal attacks).  We didn't really pay attention, because
nerds flame in person too.

Fast forward 17 years...

Netnews is alive and well. Nowadays messages move almost instantly.  Flame wars
are constant, and can go on for months.

In a fit of annoyance one day I set out to compute how many dollars are lost to
this behavior per year.  There are 400 million users we can identify, Figure 10
minutes per working day (low), so a total of  1,000,000,000,000 minutes of
reading time per year world-wide.  Assume that 1 message in 25 is a flame (this
is also low), so 40,000,000,000 minutes per year are spent reading them, and
that the average reader makes $30,000 per year, or $0.25/minute.  This works out
to $10,000,000,000 of time wasted per year.  It's a simplistic calculation, and
it isn't all of the story -- there is lots of good stuff too -- but that's a BIG
number.

Mostly, we forgot that the computer is an impersonal medium.  You can say
anything you want, and there are very few consequences. Under these
circumstances, people say all sorts of things they would never say to your face.

Netnews was a social experiment.  Like Robert Morris's internet worm, it got out
of the lab and got away from us. Today, most computer literate children in the
world have used this software and been exposed to its attributes, both good and
bad. In the end, I'm less concerned about the $10,000,000,000 per year than I am
about the lessons those kids bring back to real life from their interactions
with our software, and more broadly from interactions with the computer in
general.

People say "don't worry," but most of them don't understand the cognitive
processing that young children do.  Children don't have the tools to
discriminate between good content and bad content as adults can -- heck, a lot
of *adults* can't do this.  But they do learn.  Efficiently, and not always what
we want them to.

As a result of the netnews experience, I've learned first hand that technology
has an enormous impact on human behavior, and not always for the better.  It's
not the games or the pictures.  It's the nature of the medium.  Video and voice
are starting to put a personal element back into the picture, which is
important.  As with the original netnews system, the delaying factor is cost.

Lots of forces in the world work to help us objectify each other, and the more
we see people as objects the easier violence becomes.  Advertising does it
deliberately.  Netnews did it by accident (and with balancing benefits). I am
left to wonder what impact on people's behavior our work has had.  Perhaps more
of us, as techologists, need to wonder about such things.

Jonathan S. Shapiro
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Email: shapj () us ibm com
Phone: +1 914 784 7085  (Tieline: 863)