Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 2 items Re: An interesting viewpoint ..on the net and peronal interactions (was on Hellmouth)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:59:59 -0400

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:54:46 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Richard J. Solomon" <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>

He ought to read Harold Innis who identified all these issues before we had
computer networks, & tv for that matter. It's the difference between oral
communications and written (the Greeks vs. the Romans), and the difference
between a culture that is dependent on time & aural perceptions (Greek) vs.
one dependent on space and visual perceptions (Roman). Today we have
crushed both time AND space. Innis would not be amazed, nor would McLuhan,
his student. Just horrified.

Richard

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:59:29 +0000
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>

I agree that "Perhaps more of us, as techologists, need to wonder about such things"
But I don't think that Video and Voice will neccessarilly make things better. (Think interactive Doom / Quake with
video avatars). But I also believe that you are being too hard on yourself, technology and netnews.
I believe that there has been much more positive transformation than negative due to the increased communications that
is delivered by the net. The negatives get blown out of proporation by the horror of things like Littleton, but we
don't get to see as clearly all the little positives that add up to a social transformation until its done and obvious.
There is a whole new level of one to one, one to many and many to many communication going on because of the net. Some
good some bad, some noise. But its communication at depths and volumes unheard of in the past. I think its making the
collective a bit smarter and more self aware. One macro effect is that its getting harder to bullshit the whole
population.
Young people are using this medium at rates that we first generation computer folks can't even concieve (doing email,
IRC chat, ICQ pings, web surfing, game playing and doing their home work simultaneously!). It will make them different.
Unfortunately, some will go bad and that bad will also be amplified. But it is my contention is that the sum of the
effect will be a tremendous leap forward in civilization due to increased interpersonal communication.

--
Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development
14510 Big Basin Way #253 Saratoga, CA 95070