Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: WEB-PAGE DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM COULD UNCLOG INTERNET TRAFFIC JAMS

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 07:06:56 -0400

Another interesting thing about Sandpiper is one of the founders is David A. Farber -- no relative. But I met him while
I was at UC Irvine and he was an undergrad. I am on their Advisory Board. djf

Rival startups Sandpiper Networks and Akamai Technologies have
both developed a way to reduce congestion on the Internet by
distributing the contents of a Web site over server computers
that are spread out across the Internet. Sandpiper this week is
expected to announce that America Online has made an investment
in the company and will user Sandpiper technology in its network.
Services offered by Sandpiper and Akamai can be used to ease traffic
caused by big Web events. Last year the Los Angeles Times used
Sandpiper to manage the demand for the Starr Report. The caching
technique, which makes available additional copies of popular Web
pages, currently offers some congestion relief. However, the original
producer of a page has no control over the cache, and cannot update
material or keep track of the number of hits on the replicated page.
(New York Times 04/26/99)