Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: More on the HellMouth

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:31:53 -0400

Thank you for forwarding that set of messages! You can send this one to the
IP list if you desire, or use in in print. Just sign my name as Bearitone.

I'm 38.5, now, and married for over 15 years to a wonderful woman I met in
college at UC Berkeley. I've learned to live with curly hair. But I'm still
overweight, don't play tennis or golf or run, and would never be invited to
join a country club..... my story:

A long time ago, in a city just across the bay.....

I hated my San Francisco junior high years - fortunately, I skipped 8th
grade, and was only in for 2 years.  And I learned quickly to exact a
measure of my own when I was thrown down and beaten up -- A small jeweler's
screwdriver can cause LOTS of damage and still be hidden in your shoe before
the dean breaks up the fight - and I've never told anyone about that.

But I had my singing to keep me sane, and lots of science fiction and
science books, and one or two very inspiring teachers. And dreams of talking
to Polly Meyer or Paula Schuppel.

And by the time I got to high school anyone who started anything with me got
a cold, hard stare for half a minute -- and they usually backed down. I also
joined the fencing team, and we used to practice with umbrellas in the
central plaza; that discouraged people too.

But it wasn't, and isn't, easy.

Frankly, I blame the parents. on both sides. Those whose sons were making
bombs in the garage and those whose sons were taunting schoolmates.

I think that the one constant throughout all these events is a set of
parents - or a single parent - out of touch with their children, having also
abdicated their responsibility to teach the basics of courtesy to the kids.

Do I have kids? No. But I'm the oldest of five, and had the lion's share of
the raising of my four siblings - INCLUDING teaching them right from wrong.
And though we aren't a model family, at least we know to treat others with
respect.

That is what is missing from families. the basics of respect and caring
for/about others. For if the parents don't care about kids, where do kids
learn to care about others?