Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: snow & Internet

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 15:21:43 -0500

Richard lives outside of Boston

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:52:51 -0500
From: "Richard J. Solomon" <richard () goodread com>
Subject: snow & Internet

We got about 6" of snow on top of 10 hours of sleet - the longest sleet
storm recorded in N.E.

The local paper has a big article about how BA lines were overloaded
yesterday with people using modems and how the local ISPs couldn't handle
the traffic and collapsed. Might explain why I got so little mail, but my
ISP connects via Alexandria using an MCI line, so I had no trouble
connecting out of the region. Maybe it's time we started taking the Net
seriously as a basic communication channel?

Richard

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Ben Franklin, ~1784