Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Ominous Sign -- the demise of a great program that has helped

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 08:44:21 -0500

Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995
From: a DoD person who should know
To: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>

David,

     I'm afraid this is part of the Republican illness.  In a
frantic all out effort to show they can balance the budget, or at
least cut it way back, the Republicans have directed a
devastating attack on anything that DoD does that isn't directly
related to guns, ships or planes.  This is only the first salvo
in an attack that will result in the sinking of the US ship of
state from first class to second or third class.  I am saddened
by this loss and very worried about the quality of life for my
grandchildren.  Put on your flack jacket and prepare for the next
attack on HPC, TRP, etc.  My guess is that the ARPA budget and
programs will soon be under a microscope.  Next to go will most
likely be the High Density Systems program.