Interesting People mailing list archives

UCI Bookstore goes PGP !!!!!!!!!!!!

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 16:09:02 -0500

From: jkcohen () uci edu (Jonathan K. Cohen)
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 12:34:24 -0800

I am happy to announce that the UCI Bookstore will now accept
orders sent using PGP.

[ObPlug: The UCI Bookstore <URL:http://bookweb.cwis.uci.edu:8042/>
is one of the premier bookstores doing business on the Net
today, selling trade books, technical books, music and anime
via email and the Web. (You can read a nice review of us at
<URL:http://www.hotwired.com/Signal/Surf/>)]

WHY?
We think it's the right thing to do. Now, you can order from
us and include credit card information in your email message
with a high degree of security. Forms on our Web server are
PGP-autoencrypted on the server side; when a non-proprietary
standard for secure HTTP is established, form-based orders
from our Web site will be as safe as PGP-based email.

(Naturally, we use ViaCrypt PGP 2.7.)

HOW?
Get the UCI Bookstore's PGP public key

1024/E4324BBD 1995/01/12 UCI Bookstore Orders Desk <books () uci edu>

and use it to encrypt orders sent to us at:

books () uci edu

The UCI Bookstore's public key is available in a variety of
different ways:

Web:
<URL:http://bookweb.cwis.uci.edu:8042/Orders/pubkey.html>

Finger:
finger books () orion oac uci edu

SLED:
Send an email message to key () four11 com, the PGP keyserver at
SLED (Stable Large Email Database) with books () uci edu in the
body of the message. You can also use SLED to search for the
Bookstore's listing and obtain the key from their Web
server, <URL:http://www.four11.com/>

Our PGP key is certified by SLED and by BETSI at Bellcore.
At present, we're using PGP to receive orders only; when
we enter more fully into the Web of Trust, we want to have
the time and personnel to do it right.

For more information on our PGP efforts, check out
<URL:http://bookweb.cwis.uci.edu:8042/Orders/orders.html>

I've HTMLized Michael Paul Johnson's abridged
FAQ on where to get PGP, with his permission, and will do
my best to keep up with his updates. It's at

<URL:http://bookweb.cwis.uci.edu:8042/Orders/ubipgp.html>

I'm glad that the Bookstore is finally going the PGP route;
I hope you think it's a good service to offer.

Sincerely, Jonathan

For my personal PGP public key, with which this message is
signed, send a message to key () four11 com with
jkcohen () uci edu in the body.

--
Jonathan K. Cohen, Internet Projects, UCI Bookstore, Irvine, CA 92717
email: jkcohen () uci edu; book orders: books () uci edu; tel:(714)UCI-3164