Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: MORE ON FREE INTERNET ACCESS

From: David J Farber <farber () radiomail net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 1994 09:50:56 PST

Subject: MORE ON FREE INTERNET ACCESS
To: farber () central cis upenn edu

David,

     I just got this message from our support people.  It is the same
group that was discussed in  your message of 15 November with the
text from Communications Week.  I thought you might be interested in
passing this to the group, sans my name.

Forwarded Text of Message:

Dear Customers,

The following WARNING message was received by our Network Operations
area and we are forwarding it for your information.  We are taking
this WARNING seriously and recommend that you not get involved in the
International Internet Association's free account offering.  We will
keep you advised as further details become available.

            Subject: Warning: International Internet Association

A company calling itself the International Internet Association, and
billing itself as "the largest non-profit provider of free Internet
access in the world" has started advertizing in the Washington, D.C.
area, and offering free Internet accounts to individuals who will FAX
them, amoung other things, a credit card number.  As an active member
of the Member Council of the National Capital Area Public Access
Network (CapAccess), I wanted to find more about this organization
that supposedly has offices NOT THREE BLOCKS FROM CAPACCESS.

Here's the result of my search for the IIA.

1.  Their address, listed as "Suite 852 - 202 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W.
Washington D.C.20006",  is actually a P.O. box at Mailboxes,Etc.

2.  The company lists no in corporation, trademark or service-mark
licenses.

3.  They claim your E-mail address would be <userid>@iia.org.
However:
      a.  No iia.org is listed in the hq.af.mil hosts table
      b.  No iia.org is listed in the acq.osd.mil hosts table
      c.  No iia.org is listed is the INTERNIC 'whois' database
      d.  No iia.org is listed using the INTERNIC 'netfind' Internet

          lookup

In other words, IIA.ORG does NOT, at this time, exist.

4.  Although they apologize profusely in the application, they state
that "Without receiving a credit card number, the IIA _cannot_
process an account."

5.  Although I have left a message on their voice-mail system, I have
received no response from them.  (they also apologize in the voice
mail that, due to demand, they are operating at a 3-week backlog for
applications.) I cannot judge an organization in advance.  However, I
do think it highly suspicious that, to use their propaganda, "The
International Internet Association is able to make this service
available through generous private donations, and the extraordinary
dedication of its membership."  I can say that I am not convinced
this organization exists, and highly discourage any Internet user
from sending information until you make certain that the IIA is
real.